webMethods 10.15 integration server installation on Linux Red Hat

I’m trying to install webMethods 10.15 versioned integration server on Linux redhat server, but when I ran the installer file from Home location I’m getting below error.

SoftwareAGInstaller20230503-Linux_x86_64.bin: line 109: /tmp/saginstaller.44778/jvm/bin/java: Permission denied

Can someone please guide me through this ?

Hi Mounika,

looks like the user you are using to run the installer does not have enough rights to execute the java binary in the specified /tmp-subdirectory.

Can you check the umask and the permissions for your user on the /tmp-directory?

Regards,
Holger

2 Likes

You need to have write access to 2 locations when installing on unix systems. Its always a good practice to check installation document again before using the installer, especially if you are installing it to a Linux server.

Its better if you create a separate non-root user to own SAG directories before running the installer. You need to own(group or user ownership both works) the installation directory (default should be /opt/SoftwareAG/ for webMethods if using GUI) and the temp directory and then disable login for that user after finishing the installation. You can find this information after page 15 in the document below. (Section 2: Critical Requirements and Recommendations for
Successful Installation and Uninstallation)

1 Like

I have full permissions for user and tmp folder, but still im getting the same error.

This error tells you that you don’t have permission to /tmp/ directory. The other directory that you need access to is the installation directory. Its usually in /opt/ or ~/

I presume you already created a non-root user to use with installer and processes. I would create a SAG group and SAG user if you haven’t created any user or groups and then I would create a directory below /opt/ or ~/ and own that directory with SAG user and SAG group. User is to execute processes and binaries with a non root level access. Basically your SAG user will be executing binaries but you will be using another user in SAG group to start/stop daemons or edit files etc. You should not use root account anywhere other then executing the scripts below {install_dir}/bin. They are named as {…AsRoot}.

Changing the ownership of the /tmp directory will fix your issue but you may lose access to that directory with other users if you have any. Therefor you should change group ownership instead if you are using multiple users. You should follow the document I linked in my earlier post.

2 Likes

Dear,
I have given full permission to /tmp and and /opt and tried running the script with non root user which has all permissions to tmp and opt folders. But still I’m getting the same error.

Hi Mounika,

can you check the following:
Login to your Linux box with two terminals.
In one of them switch to the /tmp-directory and use “ls -al” to list its content.
Check for the saginstaller-directories if there are left-overs from previous runs.

When you still receive this error this indicates that your user automatically assign insufficient permissions when creating new directories and files.
Therefore I have asked you to check your profile for umask-command in my previous post.
Usually it should look like “umask 022”, which will result in default permissions “-rwxr-xr-x” for user, group and others.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

The default umask is 0022 and tmp folder is empty.

I’m able to resolve the issue by changing the tmp directory location as suggested in SAG like below:

“If your temporary directory contains thousands of files, the startup process might take one minute or longer. The installer will display Initializing system resources during this time. If you want to speed up this process, delete the files in your temporary folder.
To change the temporary directory for Software AG Installer and the bin file extract location, set the following environment variable before running the bin file:
TMPDIR=“any temporary-directory”
export TMPDIR”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.