Uninstall old Adabas version

Hello,
I already install a new Adabas version (V514PL06) on the Windows 2000 Server. Then I removed the old Adabas version (V331) using the ADD/REMOVE Program feature of Windows Control Panel and when I tryed tart the Adabas nucleus it fails because of the ADADIR environment variable. I checked all of the Adabas environment variable and I noticed that all of them were removed. My question is: Why does the Adabas environment were removed?.
To solve this problem I must add the Adabas environment variable manually.
I already read the documentations and it’s only say that I shall use the ADD/REMOVE Programs feature in the Windows Control Panel and select on the list of programs the Software AG Adabas versions desired.
Does the uninstall Adabas procedure correct? What else we can do to uninstall the old Adabas versions without remove the Adabas environment variables?

Regards

The proper procedure is to uninstall an old version before you install a new one.

Hi Ralph,
Thanks a lot so the new Adabas version recognize that the current nucleus was created with an old Adabas version?

Regards

It’s usually as simple as installing the new version and starting a database. Any conversions are handled by Adabas as the DB comes up.

Check the Installation Guide and Release Notes for possible manual conversion procedures. Also check for issues regarding fall-back to the previous version, just in case you run into problems with the new version. Of course you’ve already discovered all issues during your testing with a DBA-only database, right? :slight_smile:

This does sound like a good question to me. Installing a new version, running the conversions, testing, etc then uninstalling the prior version once all the databases are converted sounds like a good plan to me.

I would suggest opening a support request to clarify - can the prior version not uninstall without trampling a newer installation?

It is not required to uninstall old versions before installing a new version; and you can work with different installed versions in parallel. Starting with version 5.1 you can start the workbench or a command prompt for each version separately. With version 3.3 you still had to set the system environmwent variables in order to work with Adabas v3.3 before. Therefore it is recommended to keep the environment variables set to ADA33 as long as you use it.

The problem with uninstall is that the uninstall has to be provided with the installation, and therefore errors cannot be fixed later. However, I assume that there are only minor problems with it.

Regards,
Wolfgang Obmann

It is not required to uninstall old versions before installing a new version; and you can work with different installed versions in parallel. Starting with version 5.1 you can start the workbench or a command prompt for each version separately. With version 3.3 you still had to set the system environmwent variables in order to work with Adabas v3.3 before. Therefore it is recommended to keep the environment variables set to ADA33 as long as you use it.

The problem with uninstall is that the uninstall has to be provided with the installation, and therefore errors cannot be fixed later. However, I assume that there are only minor problems with it.

Regards,
Wolfgang Obmann

But running it as service it is only possible to run one version (the newest?) at the time - right?

Since having an prior version know how to keep track of a newer version is fairly complex and not likely to succeed, perhaps the uninstall could note the presence of the later version and advise the user to re-run the later version’s install with the repair option? Is that not likely to solve the problem?

Generally I see no reason not to have installed more than one Adabas version in parallel. The problems with the uninstall occurred with old versions of Adabas; I don’t know of uninstall problems with v5.1 or later. Also running as a service should be no problem, but if you do this you must take care to set the correct version number to be used for a database - this can be done with the DBA workbench.

Regards,
Wolfgang Obmann

Thank you very much for everyone and for your comments. So, I’ve got a customer who had a lot of problems when he uninstall the old Adabas version (V331) after he install the Adabas V514. One of them was with the ADADIR variable, that’s why I should install the old Adabas version again and keep it on the machine. I am afraid the customer did an incorrect step but I could not know it because he does not remember nothing about that.

I think that the best and health procedure will be uninstall the old Adabas version before to install the new one to avoid the whole environment variable could be corrupted.

Ralph, I already read the whole Adabas document and I already checked the ServLine 24 and the Adabas Community.

Douglas, I agree with you about the procedure to implement the new version of Adabas and could be extensive to another SAG product.

Best and Regards