peformance

i have downloaded a community version of adabas and natural 8.3 for windows

now i have write some programs for read and update files , i need a tool or any application that give me the performance metrics for my programs that read and update files , i need to prove for my professor that adabas is very good adabas and it has good performance, throughput , response time, and speed

and if there is any available tool for that how can i use it

also there is limitations in reading or updating files so can i store more records reaching at least 10000 record or more in any existing ddm files so i can get a good result of performance

The Community Editions of Adabas and Natural have few limitations; they are essentially identical to the full versions. There might be a limitation on database size, but I don’t think there is one on number of records per file, so you may be able to load 2 billlion.

For basic performance metrics, use Natural’s *TIMD (elapsed time) and *CPU-TIME variables.

Adabas has the ADAMON utility for monitoring, but I don’t remember if it’s available in the Community Edition.

PLEASE CAN I DOWNLOAD ADAMON TOOL FOR ADABAS

Sorry, Eman. I don’t see it in my CE installation. Contact your local rep for a trial version.

what i mean by limitation is that when i create this program :

for wv-count = 1 to 1000000
compress ‘eee’ wv-count into wv-record
add 1 to wv-i
if wv-i = 100
end transaction
reset wv-i
end-if
Ps-civno := wv-record
store person-view
write wv-count ‘=’ ps-civno
end-for
end transaction
write ‘done’
end

when i run this program the program has an error : nat 3255 which is insufficient adabas resources ( i store only 1022 record then i get this error )

as i understand is that there is no ability to store or read file more than 1022 , so there is any solution for this problem or i miss something in my program ?

We know nothing about the specifications for the file or database you are using, so it is difficult to respond.

Try running this program against the SAG-provided demo database. It ran fine for me on a CE Adabas database. As you can see, I was able to store 5,000 new records.

DEFINE DATA LOCAL
1 EMP VIEW EMPLOYEES
  2 PERSONNEL-ID
1 #N (N6)
1 #ET (I4)
END-DEFINE
FOR #N = 1 TO 5000
  COMPRESS FULL '99' #N INTO PERSONNEL-ID LEAVING NO
*   DISPLAY #N
*           PERSONNEL-ID
  STORE EMP
  ADD 1 TO #ET
  IF  #ET = 100
    THEN
      END TRANSACTION
      RESET #ET
  END-IF
END-FOR
END TRANSACTION
WRITE 'done'
END

Hi Eman,

Unfortunatelly, ADAMON is in early versions of Adabas 6.3 not available on Windows.
I’ll try to make the latest Adabas version 6.4 available.

By-the-way we have no limitations in storing data except the size of the database itself.
You can check it with ADAREP - database report.

Another option would be to contact a Software AG subsidiary. If you want please send me a mail.
Maybe we can support you better.
let me know.

Wolfgang

i have copied the code you gave me and i get the same result after around 1022 record i get an error

i dont know what is the problem of the adabas database that i have

Hi Wolfgang,

what i mean in limitation is that i can not read or store more that about 1022 records at one time , my project to read and store data as big as possible and check the performance of adabas so my aim is to write a program that stores 1 million record at 1 loop and the same for read

could you help me to solve this problem ?

and yes how can i contact a Software AG subsidiary. and where can i get your email

regards,
eman

I haven’t updated my CE version since Adabas 6.3.0. Perhaps you have a different release that’s causing a problem. Your Natural error code indicates an issue with Attached Buffers. Try increasing the LAB parameter; the default is 1meg. Refer to the ADANUC utility for details. If you have the DBA Workbench, you can update LAB via Profile and Nucleus Parameters.

I see that SAG has officess in Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates. http://www.softwareag.com/corporate/Company/offices/default.asp