GS08: 12 byte values

Hi,
Has anyone ever dealt with creating X12 documents in webMethods where the GS08 is a 12 byte value like “004010X091A1”.

I am using “wm.b2b.edi.util:addGroupEnvelope” to create the GS envelope and I get an error like “Name is required” if “verRelCode” is set to a 12 byte value like “004010X091A1”. It works with a 6 byte value like “004010” though.

Has anybody seen any problem like this or knows what might help.

Thanks,
Shubhro

Shubro,

I have not dealt with a 12-byte value in GS08. Why are you using that value rather than ‘004010’?

Thanks,

Mary

Mary,
It’s a Trading Partner requirement. And I think it’s a valid one.

I did a search this morning on Internet and found this:
if GS07 is “X” (for X12), the first 6 characters of GS08 is always the X12 version /release (3 and 3). The remaining 6 characters are for
“industry or trade association identifiers”.

Shubhro

Shubhro,

I do remember this requirement on a past project as well (Auto Industry X12 standards), but I don’t recall how it was handled. Are you sending T or X to the Agency Code? Perhaps that is related.

Mary

Okay, I realized what/where the problem was.
The problem was in generating a control number using a 12 byte version code.

I am using the service wm.b2b.editn.batch:getControlNumber ( before generating the GS envelope ) to generate the control numbers and this service cannot take in a 12 byte value. The solution is to use the first 6 bytes for the parameter “version” for the above mentioned service.

Also, I made a mistake in reporting the error message earlier. It actually was “java.sql.SQLException: [wm-cjdbc34-0046][Oracle JDBC Driver][Oracle]ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column”.

Apologize if that sent anybody thinking on a different track.

Thanks for the update, Shubhro.