Upgrading from v7.1.2 to v9.6 - Upgrade Approach

Hi,

My current understanding is that for us to upgrade from v7.1.2 to v9.6 - the recommended path is: v7.1.2 → v7.1.3 → v9.5 (or 8.2.2) → v9.6

For the sake of discussion, let me confine my question just towards IntegrationServer.

I’m trying to understand the approach one takes to upgrade below listed components in non-prod and production environment of an IntegrationServer. Should we be upgrading from v7.1.2 → v7.1.3 → v9.5 (or 8.2.2) → v9.6 in each environment as in: DEV, TEST and PROD? Or do we have simpler or a smarter way of doing this?

• Packages - Application packages: PATH: Old-PROD → New-DEV → New-TEST → New-PROD
  • Products - Adapters (JDBC etc) and Solutions (EDI, EDIINT etc.): PATH: ?
  • Configuration - server.cnf etc: PATH: ?
  • Metadata: PATH: ?
  • In-flight data: PATH: Old-PROD → New-PROD
  • Historical data: PATH: Old-PROD → New-PROD

Can you also help me associate the right “path” of upgrading the above components? What approach did you take and how did it play out for you?

Cheers,
Pramod

1 Like

Hi Pramod,

I will suggest you to migrate from 712 to 96 by migrating from 712 to 713 then from 713 to 95 and finally 95 to 96(As because not much changes are there in 95 & 96 so its will make you migration process more smoother).

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

Hi Pramod,

I agree with Abhishek. 7.1.2 to 7.1.3 may not necessary. But its always best to have our current environment to the latest level. But it depends on the code and component which you are using.

Reg the package movement. The below mentioned approach would be file. We followed the same approach.

Old-PROD → New-DEV → New-TEST → New-PROD

@Abhishek: Thanks for your input, but I understand that. I’m more interested in knowing do I have to do it in each enviornment.

@Lance: If I have to move to 9.5 from 7.x, I will have to be on 7.1.3. I wont be able to avoid that as Migration Utility will not allow me to migrate from 7.1.2

Still trying to find the best path to upgrade and also to have the least possible outage in PROD. Any inputs please?

Pramod could please elaborate you point "I’m more interested in knowing do I have to do it in each enviornment. " whcih you mentioned in your last post & Should we be upgrading from v7.1.2 → v7.1.3 → v9.5 (or 8.2.2) → v9.6 in each environment as in: DEV, TEST and PROD?.