Updates via WebDav with XMLSpy

  1. In XML Spy we can use WebDav and browse the contents of a database. When I do so for the Real Estate database which is installed by default I have a database with files labled Document_X.xml. I assume that “X” is the ino:id value. Is this correct?

    2) Next I open the file “Document_10.xml”. I modify this file. I change the value of Category from “Buy” to “George” ( a completely spontaneous category ;-). In the root node “Property” I add the attribute ino:id=“10”. I then save this to my hard drive. I am not saving it to the database via the Save URL, in this example.

    3) Now I open up the Interactive Interface and Browse to my local copy of “Document_10.xml”, where I saved the changes I made above. I click on process and I get the following message:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    - <ino:response xmlns:ino=“http://namespaces.softwareag.com/tamino/response2” xmlns:xql=“http://metalab.unc.edu/xql/”>
    - <ino:message ino:returnvalue=“0”>
    ino:messagelinedocument processing started</ino:messageline>
    </ino:message>
    <ino:object ino:collection=“RealEstate” ino:doctype=“Property” ino:id=“10” />
    - <ino:message ino:returnvalue=“0”>
    ino:messagelinedocument processing ended</ino:messageline>
    </ino:message>
    </ino:response>

    This indicates to me that the changes have been made.

    4) The first thing I wanted to do was verify that these changes have been indeed made. So I went to the XMLSpy and via WebDav opend “Document_10.xml”. However the changes were not there.

    5) I then went to welcome example that now comes with Release 3 and dd a Query on the database and I saw that the record with ino:id=“10” did indeed get modified. So for some resaon I am not getting updated record via Webdav.

    6) Why is this? I tried restarting webdav, and I tried inodavrepair, but niether worked.

Hi,

I assume, you first enabled RealEstate for WebDAV. The Document name is random, do not rely the number being the ino:id (even if it is in most cases).

As far as I understand, you accessed a document via WebDAV, changed it and saved it locally. Then you copied it back to Tamino using HTTP (interactive interface). Doing this, metadata gets lost.

Updating a WebdavDocument means: updating the content (Document_10.xml in your case) AND the metadata, which is maintained by the WebDAV Server. If you save a document via HTTP, the metadata is not updated and the collection is corrupt.

After you enabled your collection, you should only access it via WebDAV. If you access the document with XML Spy using WebDAV, change it and save it back with XML Spy, everything will work fine.

Regards,
Martin