RE: WebOS - HP Touchpad

Hi Dave,

We do have a webOS variant of Bedrock but we’ve not yet been able to test on any of the tablet devices, only the likes of the Pre and Pixie devices. Now that webOS from an HP hardware point of view has been shelved I doubt we will see much demand. We’ve had very few enquiries surrounding webOS from customers in the last couple of years and market share has been extremely low.

From my point of view unless we see some major announcements of licensing deals for webOS I think we are best to consider the platform dying or dead, much like BREW over the last few years. However should a specific customer and/or deal situation arise we certainly have a very solid start point on webOS to build from.

Cheers,

Matt

Is it me, or does it seem like HP made a pretty half-hearted run at mobile after acquiring Palm? If Google had given up when the first few devices had lackluster sales, Android might not have gone far either! I think they stuck with their Windows mobile efforts for far longer despite the inherent problems with the Microsofts efforts in their first few attempts in Mobile.

Lucky for us, they acquired Autonomy and not Software AG! Although I wouldn’t have minded them acquiring Tibco and doing a “Palm” on them. :wink:

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:26 AM
To: Mobile Insiders
Subject: [mobile-insiders-l] RE: WebOS - HP Touchpad

Sorry I forgot to CC these to the Mobile Insiders the other day :wink:

Sent: 23 August 2011 11:49
To: Sutka, David
Subject: RE: [mobile-insiders-l] WebOS - HP Touchpad

Hi Dave,

We do have a webOS variant of Bedrock but we’ve not yet been able to test on any of the tablet devices, only the likes of the Pre and Pixie devices. Now that webOS from an HP hardware point of view has been shelved I doubt we will see much demand. We’ve had very few enquiries surrounding webOS from customers in the last couple of years and market share has been extremely low.

From my point of view unless we see some major announcements of licensing deals for webOS I think we are best to consider the platform dying or dead, much like BREW over the last few years. However should a specific customer and/or deal situation arise we certainly have a very solid start point on webOS to build from.

Cheers,

Matt

Sent: 22 August 2011 15:29
Subject: [mobile-insiders-l] WebOS - HP Touchpad

Given the recent HP announcement regarding hardware for webOS and the subsequent fire sale on Touchpad tablets, I went looking to see if there was a pre-defined device in my Bedrock install for it, with no luck.

Do we have a path for build/deployment of apps to that platform? Do we just need to tweak the PalmPre config?

Or perhaps the best bet would be to wait for the inevitable port of Android to the platform…

Dave

David Sutka
Principal Systems Engineer
Phone: 603-974-2677 | Mobile: 617-816-0775
david.sutka@softwareag.com
Software AG - Boston MA

You are currently subscribed to mobile-insiders-l as: matthew.cope@softwareag.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst(‘Email.Unsub’)

You are currently subscribed to mobile-insiders-l as: John.DesJardins@softwareag.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to $subst(‘Email.Unsub’)

Assuming you can get one of these HP tablets. They seem to be sold out most places!

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 03:22 AM
To: Mobile Insiders mobile-insiders-l@pccss3.softwareag.com

Modders Slap Popular Android Hack On HP’s TouchPad
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/08/android-cyanogen-touchpad/ Modders Slap Popular Android Hack on HP's TouchPad | WIRED http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/08/android-cyanogen-touchpad/

You’ll soon be able to use Android and forget WebOS…

Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:26 PM

Sorry I forgot to CC these to the Mobile Insiders the other day :wink:

Sent: 23 August 2011 11:49
To: Sutka, David
Subject: RE: [mobile-insiders-l] WebOS - HP Touchpad

Hi Dave,

Cheers,

Matt

Sent: 22 August 2011 15:29
Subject: [mobile-insiders-l] WebOS - HP Touchpad

Given the recent HP announcement regarding hardware for webOS and the subsequent fire sale on Touchpad tablets, I went looking to see if there was a pre-defined device in my Bedrock install for it, with no luck.

Do we have a path for build/deployment of apps to that platform? Do we just need to tweak the PalmPre config?

Or perhaps the best bet would be to wait for the inevitable port of Android to the platform…

Dave

David Sutka
Principal Systems Engineer
Phone: 603-974-2677 | Mobile: 617-816-0775
david.sutka@softwareag.com
Software AG - Boston MA

You are currently subscribed to mobile-insiders-l as: matthew.cope@softwareag.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-mobile-insiders-l-493391C@pccss3.softwareag.com

You are currently subscribed to mobile-insiders-l as: Ian.Ward@softwareag.com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-mobile-insiders-l-493391C@pccss3.softwareag.com
You are currently subscribed to mobile-insiders-l as: John.DesJardins@softwareag.com