Questions on Mobile enablement

Hi,

We are at very early discussion at one of the prospect for Mobile Opportunity.

They have an existing functionality (search, submit, update etc of forms) that they want to enable as an App on iPad or an Android device. High level req is attached.

Few things we would like to understand is that

1. Can they re-use/leverage some of the existing assets or for Mobile development should they start from scratch.
  2. Also they want Offline functionality. They would want to perform update activities on the form and auto recovery once the connection is established.

Do we have any pointers as to type of follow up questions that needs to be asked to the customer so that we can get accurate info needed for Mobile Designer requirement?

This is our first attempt at Mobile Designer sorry if the above are all trivial :slight_smile:

Hi Sandeep,

I’ll try to answer your questions as best I can, if you need anything more specific please just ask:

1.  Can they re-use/leverage some of the existing assets or for Mobile development should they start from scratch.

Mobile Designer is based around Java development so if the logical assets are Java based then you should be able to re-use a large part of those. Also any existing graphical assets can often be repurposed for mobile quite easily. If however their assets are mainly existing web pages and flow then really the only thing that could be potentially retained is the underlying webservices that are being connected to. So you would just need to re-design the mobile UI in Mobile Designer and connect that to the existing infrastructure.

1.  Also they want Offline functionality. They would want to perform update activities on the form and auto recovery once the connection is established. 

This is quite a common use case, we supply a simple set of “Record Store” APIs which can be used to save data within the application, which can then be read and sent on when a connection is found to be available.

Do we have any pointers as to type of follow up questions that needs to be asked to the customer so that we can get accurate info needed for Mobile Designer requirement?

This is potentially quite broad, but I think key questions we would normally ask would be which devices and platforms they’re looking to target and what existing experience if any they have in developing mobile applications. Using those responses to then assess how much hand holding in the process may be needed and any steering towards suitable solutions.

This is our first attempt at Mobile Designer sorry if the above are all trivial :slight_smile:

No problem, like I said feel free to ask for any more detail :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Matt