general issue when exporting to android

Hi all,
I am continuously coming across some problems and am wondering if this has occurred to anyone else so far.

Whenever I import a bedrock project in my eclipse android environment (via importing the retained output files as a project), I always get this strange error message that originates from the "webservices.jar in the referenced libraries.
When I remove that one, the “location.jar” is making trouble. Only after removing these two from the build path (and one “android.jar” - there are two of them), it works, but I guess that’s not how it’s supposed to be, is it?
I experienced this in each attempt I’ve made so far with several different projects. I used the latest version of bedrock, by the way.

Does anybody know what’s the matter here?


Here’s the error message:

[2011-11-18 15:04:32 - HelloWorld_HTCDesire_EN] Dx
trouble processing “java/rmi/MarshalException.class”:

Ill-advised or mistaken usage of a core class (java.* or javax.*)
when not building a core library.

This is often due to inadvertently including a core library file
in your application’s project, when using an IDE (such as
Eclipse). If you are sure you’re not intentionally defining a
core class, then this is the most likely explanation of what’s
going on.

However, you might actually be trying to define a class in a core
namespace, the source of which you may have taken, for example,
from a non-Android virtual machine project. This will most
assuredly not work. At a minimum, it jeopardizes the
compatibility of your app with future versions of the platform.
It is also often of questionable legality.

If you really intend to build a core library – which is only
appropriate as part of creating a full virtual machine
distribution, as opposed to compiling an application – then use
the “–core-library” option to suppress this error message.

If you go ahead and use “–core-library” but are in fact
building an application, then be forewarned that your application
will still fail to build or run, at some point. Please be
prepared for angry customers who find, for example, that your
application ceases to function once they upgrade their operating
system. You will be to blame for this problem.

If you are legitimately using some code that happens to be in a
core package, then the easiest safe alternative you have is to
repackage that code. That is, move the classes in question into
your own package namespace. This means that they will never be in
conflict with core system classes. JarJar is a tool that may help
you in this endeavor. If you find that you cannot do this, then
that is an indication that the path you are on will ultimately
lead to pain, suffering, grief, and lamentation.

[2011-11-18 15:04:32 - HelloWorld_Desire_EN] Dx 1 error; aborting
[2011-11-18 15:04:32 - HelloWorld_Desire_EN] Conversion to Dalvik format failed with error 1

Hi David,

It may not be the same thing but we had some issues with libraries containing references to java and javax packages overlapping the core libraries of Android.

If that sounds familiar to the error you’re getting this has been resolved in Mobile Designer, where we now cross compile the overlapping package name paths to different paths.


Further on this, there was an error in the way that the project files for Android were being set up which caused a clash in the sample apps, specifically android.jar among others. The fix for this involved changing how the build path was being set up, so if the previous fix didn’t address your problem this one should have, given that changing the build path was what you had to do. If the latest rollout of Mobile Designer doesn’t fix the problem, please let us know.