1) They want to write an application that can
switch online/offline mode. Is there a way
to do this?

2) When using Native Markup views (HTML),
there’s no option to use an external HTML
editor. We can see this option on JSP
Templates, but not Native Markup views.
How to use HTML editors?

3) Is there any version control on FSA planned? Is there any automatic way of deploying new versions?

4) What type what source control packages Tamino Mobile Studio can interface to?

5) Is there any plan of deployment for smartclient (.CAB) over the internet?

6) Can you run more than one application on iPaq at the same time in a way that they can exchange information between each other?

7) How to develop the application using a team of programmers?

8) What options of local SQL store do we have in the iPaq?

9) Can we write an application that has a local store on iPaq (e.g. Tamino Mobile DB) and call Entire X Java Wrapper? I have a project that runs Ok on PC, but when I try to deploy and run it on iPaq it fails complaining a missing com/softwareag/entirex/aci/bb class. I marked the entxrt.jar to be deployed and I can see all the classes under the repository on iPaq, but it’s not working…

If someone has any answer for the question above…

Kind regards,

Luimar Scheid

Javier C

1. They want to write an application that can
    > switch online/offline mode. Is there a way
    > to do this?
    If by “online” you mean a thin client (browser) accessing a backend, using miniEngine it is more or less immediate, since Pocket IE is the user interface.

If by “online” you mean live access from a Java client to the server, client-server style, then TM Suite does not provide special facilities for doing it, neither it prevents you to achieve it by Java programming.

> 2) When using Native Markup views (HTML),
    > there’s no option to use an external HTML
    > editor. We can see this option on JSP
    > Templates, but not Native Markup views.
    > How to use HTML editors?
    You can always use copy&paste. Otherwise, you can open the template file from the tool and then use the “Import content from an external file” button in Studio.

Anyway, I really do not see why are you using native views for outputting HTML; JSP views are far better for that.

> 3) Is there any version control on FSA
    > planned?
    What do you mean? Runtime version control?

> Is there any automatic way of
    > deploying new versions?
    To the devices, not a really automatic way; the user must do at least some manual operations. He/she should download the CAB file, and then execute it.

> 4) What type what source control packages
    > Tamino Mobile Studio can interface to?
    As far as I know, CVS. But, at any rate, Studio projects are based on files, so you can put them in any repository you want.

> 5) Is there any plan of deployment for
    > smartclient (.CAB) over the internet?
    Right now you can deploy a CAB over the web, by having the user downloading it to the device.

As for automatic deploying, your Java client can also download it, though executing it automatically could be tricky. There were plans to support the OSGi alliance framework, though I really do not know how this is going.

> 6) Can you run more than one application on
    > iPaq at the same time in a way that they can
    > exchange information between each other?
    Yes you can. At the very least they should be able to communicate through sockets, and probably there are other options.

However, I do not see much advisable to run two JVMs in the same PDA; they are somewhat heavy. Probably you can achieve the same results in some other way.

> 7) How to develop the application using a
    > team of programmers?
    For the Java part (model) it is the same as with other tools. For the Studio part, first you should componentize your application so you can have several programmers working at the same time on different components; and then you can put the Studio sources in the repository.

> 8) What options of local SQL store do we have
    > in the iPaq?
    We should try to use Tamino Mobile DB; it is a nice DB, east yo use and I would say faster than Pocket PC MS Databases.

As for SQL, JDBC is available in pJava, so you can find about databases e.g. by searching for “JDBC pJava” in Google.

> 9) Can we write an application that has a
    > local store on iPaq (e.g. Tamino Mobile DB)
    > and call Entire X Java Wrapper?
    You can as far as the Entire X Java Wrapper-generated files and runtime are pJava-compatible. Otherwise, it will be problematic.

> I have a
    > project that runs Ok on PC, but when I try to
    > deploy and run it on iPaq it fails
    > complaining a missing
    > com/softwareag/entirex/aci/bb class. I marked
    > the entxrt.jar to be deployed and I can see
    > all the classes under the repository on iPaq,
    > but it’s not working…
    Try to manually modify the .lnk file in the repository; it is what starts the application, and it contains the classpath. Add the EntireX jars to it.

Regards

Javier C