Need an information about packages

I have made some changes to an existing package. I need to keep both the packages, the original one and the one with the changes as a new package. I have restored the original pkg from backup but if I rename the zip with the changes in it and trying to deploy as a new package, it gets overwritten on the existing package.

Kindly suggest on how to keep both.

Edit: I have made some changes to an existing package. I had to revert to the old package. So archived the one with the changes. As I need to keep both the packages, I have restored the original pkg from backup but if I rename the archived pkg with the changes in it and trying to deploy as a new package, it gets overwritten on the existing package.

Kindly suggest on how to keep both.

You can’t, since the folder and services will be conflicting to each other.
However, you can rename the package name and the root folder of the existing one to a different one, then you can load the other one.

Hi Venkat,

I agree with Tong.

The Packagename itself is not part of the relevant service name, therefore you can´t have two services with the same name (including folder structure) in different packages.

Regards,
Holger

Yes that’s the standard practice and avoid any package namespace conflicts and try to be unique folder names especially starting root folder.

HTH,
RMG

Venkat – The approach which you followed is not the suggested one. If you want to take back up, take it and store as part of FS, if needed you can re-use. If not you will be get confused at a latter point of time.

Thanks,

You must understand the namespace in webMethods. Always note that the package name is not a part of namespace. As a best practice and to avoid the NS conflicts we name the package and the root folder inside the package with the same name as package. This is for you information. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you all for the useful suggestions. I will rename the package name and root folder of the existing package then will deploy the other one as suggested.