NaturalOne error - Natural Builder 'invalid connection properties'

In NaturalOne im trying to compile a ‘hello world’ program and get the error '‘invalid connection properties’, I’m new to this software and have no idea what it means!

If I try selecting the run option I get ‘Application server type is missing’, I don’t understand this either.

Hi Norman,

Welcome to the wonderful world of PC/Eclipse-based software development! (Small bit of sarcasm intended :wink:

Did you download and install the basic NaturalONE CE version, DVD_Version_N1_8.3.5.0.242_CE, and not the new Docker version? I’ll assume you are using the basic version. If you are using the Docker version someone else will have to chip in.

The basic NatONE CE version should come configured for local PC and local Natural run time use. The CE version does not support a server connection, so any attempt to select or set up a server connection may have left your connection parameters set incorrectly. You can check these settings as follows:

On the RUN menu option, select Run Configurations …, then Natural Application → Default Launch
Under the Natural Application tab,
for Server type: Select Web I/O Interface Client for basic Natural I/O, or Natural for AJAX for AJAX web I/O.
for Host name: localhost
for Port number: 8080
Internal browser (checked)

Under the Natural Server tab,
Host name: localhost
Port number: 2800
User Id: User id you installed with.

Also check menu Window → Preferences → Software AG → Natural → Runtime Execution → Natural I/O
On the Runtime tab, Use default configuration and Use internal browser both (checked).
Server info should be blank or grayed out.

On the Natural I/O tab,
Natural I/O port: should be 3500
Natural I/O timeout: 30

Hope that helps and solves your Build and Run problems.

Cheers,
George

I don’t see an option for the internal browser under Natural Application

Natural I/O, or Natural for AJAX for AJAX web I/O.
for Host name: localhost
for Port number: 8080
Internal browser (checked)

You cant have default configuration and internal browser both checked, its either one or the other

‘Use default configuration and Use internal browser both (checked).
Server info should be blank or grayed out’

I do have a copy of Natural 8.3 installed also. Could there be some kind of conflict?
?
I also noticed there were some preinstalled program visible in blue writing on the right had side of the screen, one of then was called ‘hello world’ and they all came up in error but are not visible to show you now,.

Is it best to uninstall and reinstall CE?

I’m sorry to hear my suggestions didn’t help. I don’t understand why you aren’t seeing the check box for internal browser under the Natural Application preferences, and I don’t know how much that matters. The most important is the Host name set to localhost and the correct port numbers set.

Likewise for the Natural I/O settings, I don’t have any problem checking both default configuration and internal browser on my system.

I don’t know if another Natural 8.3 installation would cause any conflicts. Is that one a Natural for Windows installation. I have read you can have 2 copies of Natural on the same machine as long as they are under separate drives, like C: and D:. Otherwise the installer would complain and not finish.

If you aren’t using the other version of Natural, it might be best to uninstall it and NatONE CE and then reinstall NatONE on a clean system.

The “Hello World” program you saw on the right side of the screen was probably in the list of sample applications. They are not preinstalled, you have to click on them one at a time to install them. To find them again, click on the Help menu option and then the Welcome option. Before you uninstall/reinstall, you might try to install that Hello World sample and see if maybe it will work. It uses Ajax web page for I/O, so you may need to change the output server type from Web I/O to Natural for AJAX.

In the unzipped folder before installing, there is a ReadmeFirst.htm file. Its page has a link to Getting Started, with subsequent links to

Installation
Starting NaturalONE for the First Time
Installing and Executing a Sample Application
About the Sample Applications
Uninstallation
Known Issues

I recommend you read them first (or again), and follow them exactly to make sure every thing is done in the right order. Note that I haven’t managed to get the last 2 sample applications to install, the Database Access application (mySQL), and the Natural for AJAX demos. But the Hello World and Travel Approval apps work fine, as code examples and you can play with them. If they work you should be able to write your own programs under those projects or create your own project.

Good luck,
George

1. Under the Natural Application tab the options are SOURCE / PROGRAM / PARAMETER / APPLICATION WEB SERVER/
    SERVER TYPE/ HOST NAME / PORT NUMBER.

2. There is no option within the Natural Application Tab for INTERNAL BROWSER present.

3. I’ve changed SERVER TYPE to AJAX where applicable

4. I still get the same error when trying to run the ‘Hello World’ program that I installed i.e. ‘Invalid connection properties’

5. When truing to run the preinstalled 'HELLO WORLD; program I get……
    “”““the following error was detected while opening the project ‘NaturalONE’ Hello World Sample Application(3). A user interface component name has to be unique within the workspace””“”“”"

6. In short I can neither execute my hand written hello world program or the preinstalled hello world program.

Hi Norman,

It occurred to me today that I have a Natural 8.3 for Windows CE version installed on an old laptop. I booted it up to see what was there that might have been interfering with your NaturalONE installation. It does have an NDV server and a WebI/O server that appear in the Windows services list. They are set up to start automatically at bootup, but it is a little difficult to figure out which tcp ports they are listening on. I would guess if they are using the same ports as NatONE, the conflict might cause the problem you are getting.

So, before uninstalling/reinstalling NatONE, you might try uninstalling Natural 8.3 and rebooting to get rid of the Windows services. Then see if the error in NatONE goes away. Or if you want to keep the Natural for Windows install, try going into Windows services and shut down the services related to Natural 8.3. There are 3 for Natural, with names starting with “Software AG Natural 8.3 …”. There are also 3 “Software AG Adabas …” services, but I don’t know if they matter. Probably best to shut them down too. Although, the NatONE Adabas services have the exact same names as the Natrural 8.3 install. If you have 6 of them, I’m not sure how to tell them apart.

You might also check one more set of properties in NatONE. Under menu option Project, → Natural → Runtime, “Use Natural Runtime” should be checked. The server settings should be your defaults, localhost, 2700, Windows, greyed out/locked so they can’t be changed.

That’s about all the ideas I’ve got. Hope something works for you. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
George

Im wondering if we are looking at different versions of the software because in mine there isn’t any option called
’ Use Natural Runtime’ and all of the fields are blank apart from the USER ID and PROCESSING LOOP LIMIT, the blank fields meant to be populated and should USER ID be ‘USER’ or my actual user id created my myself.
Still not working. Stuck on hello world!

I did manage to remove the Natural 8 from the laptop and am now left with NaturalOne which does not show up in my Windows10
Add / Remove programs; Ive downloaded an third party uninstaller which cant see NaturalOne either even though its still installed,
Does Software AG supply some kind of uninstaller?

Yes, your version looks a lot different than mine. I’m guessing you may have downloaded the NaturalONE 9.1.1 CE version which is only intended to run against a Docker version of Adabas and Natural Dev Server, so that would explain why your configuration settings don’t include any local settings.

Help → About should show what NaturalONE version you are running. See sample attached.

If you want to understand the Docker world, here are the forum links to read and follow through on subsequent links.

1. Subject: Now available for free download NaturalONE, Adabas and Natural Community Edition for Docker!
    [url]http://tech.forums.softwareag.com/techjforum/posts/list/59599.page[/url]

2. Subject: Adabas & Natural Community editions for Docker now on Amazon AWS marketplace
    [url]http://tech.forums.softwareag.com/techjforum/posts/list/68329.page[/url]

If you want to load the Local version of NaturalONE CE 8.3, follow this link, read the Getting Started guide, download the file, S.B. something like “DVD_Version_N1_8.3.5.0.242_CE.zip”, and 1.87 GB in size. Unzip it and read/print out the ReadmeFirst.htm page, and keeep it handy for all the 2ndary links that explaine the install, setup, and sample applications.

[url]http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/communities/public/adanat/products/naturalone/downloads-community-edition/index.html[/url]

Here are Uninstall instructions for NaturalONE 8.3. It uses Windows Control Program Add/Remove. I don’t know how NatONE 9.1 gets installed or uninstalled. Maybe it’s all in a Docker container that was created under Windows 10, and you have to go into the container to remove stuff, or just delete the container. .

================================================================
Uninstallation

Important: If you want to install the commercial version of NaturalONE or a newer version of the NaturalONE Community Edition, it is recommended that you first uninstall the NaturalONE Community Edition in order to avoid conflicts.

NaturalONE Community Edition 8.1

To uninstall the NaturalONE Community Edition, open the Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs. Then uninstall the NaturalONE Community Edition exactly in the order as shown below:

Uninstall "Software AG Products 8.x <drive>:\NaturalONE-CE". Use the "Select All" option.
Uninstall  "Software AG Common Tomcat Package 8.0".
Uninstall "Software AG Common Java Package 1.6".

Remove the Eclipse workspace if it is no longer needed. On Windows 7 and Windows 8, it is in “ProgramData<user>”.

The Adabas demo database which is created for the NaturalONE Community Edition is not removed with the uninstallation.
Remove the demo database if it is not longer needed. On Windows 7 and Windows 8, it is in “ProgramData\Software AG\Adabas”.

Remove the installation folder “:\NaturalONE-CE”.

NaturalONE Community Edition 8.2 or 8.3

To uninstall the NaturalONE Community Edition, open the Control Panel and choose Add or Remove Programs. Then uninstall “Software AG Products :<installation directory>” (for example, “Software AG Products: C:\Natural-CE”).

The NaturalONE Community Edition comes with a scripted uninstallation. This means that most selections have already been done for you. All programs that are installed with the NaturalONE Community Edition will be uninstalled.

Remove the Eclipse workspace if it is no longer needed. On Windows 7 and Windows 8, it is in “ProgramData<user>”.

The Adabas demo database which is created for the NaturalONE Community Edition is not removed with the uninstallation.
Remove the demo database if it is not longer needed. On Windows 7 and Windows 8, it is in “ProgramData\Software AG\Adabas”.

Remove the installation folder “:<installation directory>”.

The problem is the NaturalOne is not visible in my Windows 10 Add/Remove programs or in
two other third party uninstallers.
I cant uninstall the software as its not visible to the uninstallers even though its installed on
my machine.
I was hoping you had a tool that can detect and uninstall for me.

Sorry, I don’t have a magic uninstall tool.

Can you verify what version of NaturalONE you have installed? Also, what was the name of the install file you downloaded from the TechCommunity download site?

Thanks.

I know some software downloads with its own uninstaller. The ABOUT says NATURALONE VERSION 9.1.1
SOFTWARE AG COMMON COMPONENTS AND BRANDING VERSION 10.3

OK, that’s what I thought. I have a copy of the NatONE 9.1 CE I’m going to unzip and install on a spare computer… I’ll see if there are uninstall instructions in it someplace. Otherwise we may have to do a manual uninstall.

OK, I couldn’t find an uninstall script after loading the 9.1.1 CE version. But it did not seem to make any registry changes, so it is a simple process to just delete the 4 file directories that were created.

The first is the main directory where you unzipped the downloaded file.
Mine went to C:ONE_9.1.1.CE

Then 3 were built in my user directory the first time I started the Designer,
where “OWNER” is the user id I installed with.

C:/USERS/OWNER/.eclipse
C:/USERS/OWNER/.p2
C:/USERS/OWNER/WORKSPACE103

You can delete all 4 directories and their subdirectories with the File Explorer and be done with it.

Or you can just leave the 9.1.1 CE version on your machine and go ahead and install the full NaturalONE 8.3 CE version. The two don’t seem to interfere with each other since 9.1.1 has no registry entries, and the directories they create and use are named differently.

Before trying to install the 8.3 version, you should check to make sure the uninstall you did earlier removed the Adabas runtime modules. Pull up your Windows services monitor and see if there are any entries for Software AG Adabas running. Since the NaturalONE installer installs a copy of Adabas, the installer checks first and refuses to continue until all vestiges of Adabas are removed.

Good luck,
George

Does 8.3 include the eclipse environment ?

Yes, the 8.3 CE version includes eclipse, NaturalONE, Natural runtime, Adabas, and Natural for Ajax. Everything you need in one package to develop,test and execute Natural programs on a stand-alone PC.

Norman, do you mean that you are new to Natural ONE or new to Natural? If you want to learn Natural, download the CE for Natural and Adabas. Learning the language will still take some effort, but you don’t need to learn Eclipse to get there.

If you already know Natural and now are interested in ONE, then “never mind.” :slight_smile: