NATURAL CE NAT_8.3.4.0.171 on Windows 10 - NAT3148

Good Morning,

I’m a Natural noob, just installed Community Edition which includes ADABAS. I know this because when trying to install ADABAS it says its already installed. I was able to get “hello world” working, now trying to read from ADABAS demo database…

DEFINE DATA
LOCAL
1 EMPLOYEES-VIEW VIEW OF EMPLOYEES
2 FULL-NAME
3 NAME (A20)
2 DEPT (A6)
2 LEAVE-DATA
3 LEAVE-DUE (N2)
END-DEFINE

READ EMPLOYEES-VIEW BY NAME
DISPLAY NAME 3X DEPT 3X LEAVE-DUE
END-READ

END

The error message at top says “NAT3148 Database 12 is not active or not accessible” but also says…

NAT3148 Database :1: is not active or not accessible

TEXT:
Adabas is not active or not accessible.
EXPL:
The Adabas nucleus was not active or not accessible when the command
was issued.
ACTN:
Start the database or contact your database administrator

I have 6 Software AG windows services installed which are all running except Administration Service.

adashow displays this…

C:\Natural-CE\Adabas\INSTALL>adashow -a

Current ADABAS default database :

none

ADABAS databases on node %COMPUTERNAME% :

12 GENERAL_DATABASE active (default)
13 GENERAL_DATABASE inactive (default)

I don’t think DBA Workbench is installed. When I try to run startdba I get "Windows cannot find ‘adadba’

Someone in another thread suggested running SYSEXPG->READX01. I get the same NAT3148 error running it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

ADASHOW reports that DB 12 is active but the 3148 means that Natural can’t connect to it. Is DB 12 running on the same machine as Natural CE?

ADADBA is not available. It was deprecated several releases ago. Adabas Manager is its replacement.

Yes, DB 12 is running on the same machine. As part of the CE install, ADABAS is installed and the demo database is created. I just ran the stock CE install, where all the responses were scripted, and have not done anything post-install other than running Natural.

How many copies of Adabas exist on the same computer?

It sounds as if there are multiple Adabas copies floating around. Since Natural generated the 3148, it would seem that the “companion” Adabas never was installed.

It sounds like Natural is trying to connect with the companion Adabas, which you were informed was never installed (as per the quote above).

Please check on additional copies of Adabas.

Does the CE install the “Start Local Environment” function? That may do the trick.

Well, I did a clean install and then “Start Local Environment” and it the ADABAS read program worked. So I rebooted to see if it was the clean install or Start Local that fixed it but getting Buffer Pool error starting Natural…

Uanble to open buffer pool
Buffer pool error: "Unexpected system call error occurred (20)
Global shared memory cound not be attached:
Global\NAT83BPMEM_0x19341111001

Found in another thread that I should check the windows services and yes the Buffer Pool Service was not running. Started it and Natural is working again. The service is set to Automatic, but doesn’t seem to start when I reboot.

Setting the local environment should be needed only once, as part of the post-installation procedure. It is not required after each re-boot.