Input clear previous input

hello,
a question about the input

every new input it clears the screen, erasing the previous data input.

how can I show all the inputs one after the other without erasing the past?

Note: I’m going to study the MAP still.

Cláudio
Brazil.

Check the NO ERASE option on the INPUT statement.

Thanks.

How i download documentation about natural, and i see this options.

I skill need a way to find information.

Thanks for all…

Sorry my english.

First of all it’s all in Natural for Windows’ HELP, and then there is

http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/natural/index.htm

Another reason for your input field values to disappear is the AD parameter setting. AD=A clears the input fields while AD=M allows modification. Here’s an example that you can try.

DEFINE DATA LOCAL
1 #A1 (A5) INIT <'A'>
1 #A2 (A5) INIT <'B'>
1 #N1 (N5) INIT <1>
1 #N2 (N5) INIT <2>
END-DEFINE
REPEAT
  INPUT #A1 (AD=ADL'_') 'input'
      / #N1 (AD=ADL'_')
     // #A2 (AD=MDL'_') 'modify'
      / #N2 (AD=MDL'_')
  DISPLAY #A1
          #N1
          #A2
          #N2
END-REPEAT
END

Can i display informations in lines and INPUT after all displays?

display “Name”
display “Adress”

input name …
input adress …

Without knowing what you are trying to achieve ist’s almost impossible to propose a solution,
but basically yes, when you issue a number of DISPLAY statements followed by INPUT NO ERASE
it will all end up on the same screen, but …

A minor but significant point - DISPLAY is intended for columnar reports. If you want to write fields on successive lines, use a WRITE statement.

Sorry.

I try do this: see all informations in screen before

Name
Country

And after this, input each variable

Well, as I said - it will work, but it won’t be pretty.

When you display just one bit of information / data from one record,
then the easier approach is

INPUT (AD=M) NAME / AGE / CITY / COUNTRY

this will present the current values in modifiable fields.

sorry I’m still thinking about these questions for this COBOL.

Thanks.

what are the advantages of using natural / adabas instead of cobol?

in INPUT x/y
what is the limit for rows and columns?

Speed of developement as a result of fewer lines to code.

250 each

Claudio;

You may not like this post. However, if people read this and respond, I believe you will see that the overall message of the post is true.

You will NOT really learn Natural playing with it the way you are.

Take the example you posted which involved putting up a screen with four field names and allowing the user to input one at a time.

In order to completely explore alternatives, you would have to understand (and I may miss something here):

INPUT, INPUT NO ERASE, REINPUT, REINPUT FULL, DISPLAY, WRITE, Windowing (which involves many statements and Terminal Commands (the % commands in the documentation; there is a whole family of %W commands which do windowing), the %N, %Q, and %QS family of commands, and finally, Helproutines. As noted above, I may have left out some statements/commands/parameters, etc.

The way to learn Natural (and indeed any programming language) is a class. You should request same from your employer.

What is wrong with learning the way you are?

First, as an aside, you are very lucky. Wolfgang and Ralph, who responded to you did a good job pointing out some of the facilities (statements and commands) that I mentioned above. What is missing from their answers is the interplay you would have with an instructor.

For example, Wolfgang mentioned INPUT NO ERASE. In a classroom, the instructor could pull up a program with just INPUT, then swuitch to INPUT NO ERASE. Then discuss things to watch out for. Ralph pointed out the difference between AD=A and AD=M and supplied an example. But, in a class you would also learned about AD=O at the same time. You would also have learned about all the other options for AD=; not just by reading, but by seeing the effects of each option on a screen. Then there are Selection Boxes, Color, and all the other options for variables on a Map. In the Map editor, enter .e on a variable on the map to see the extended editor for the variable. An instructor might not do all the options at once, but you would at least be aware that there are such options.

Good luck in your efforts to participate in a class.

steve

I appreciate the information.

is normal when a new user unknowingly enters the forum and start asking too many questions. Typically many of these questions very poorly made ??or unaware of what you really want.

I thank all colleagues for information and assistance.

unfortunately not think courses like the internet step by step.

only by the help of the natural isolate each command.

even have the notion of what is needed.

Some time ago I had to learn PHP and MySQL and went through it too, but to know that COBOL is working, I have a lot of persistence.

After two months with MySQL and PHP already had created a system that created your dynamic pages according to tables of MySQL

I appreciate the help. I apologize for any trouble I have caused.

The question is:

WHY are you trying to learn Natural, where are you going from here ?

I thank Software AG for offering Community Editions of Natural and Adabas and I encourage folks to try them. The on-line help in Natural for Windows is excellent and the complete set of manuals is available on the Web. The need for formal education is overstated (by someone whose signature line advertises services). Many have become capable Natural programmers without it.

Formal training has its place, but you won’t become an expert without a mentor; there is too much important information missing from the manuals, too many topics which must be discussed in detail. This forum is a great place to get (quick) answers to your (brief) questions, but it is not a replacement for a mentor.

When you are ready, Claudio, send me an e-mail, and I’ll provide a list of alternative resources.

That was, to a certain extent, the direction of my question, Ralph.

Is it just to get a tick box on a CV, or is there a real perspective to it …

But if it’s starting to get serious I agree, self study, even with the help of the community,
will not even get you ready for an interview that gets deeper than scratching the surface.

in Brazil there are many openings for natural / adabas in financial institutions.

As I know cobol

I decided to learning natural try new job opportunities.

I know it will take to enteder, must start now.