cXML without Ariba OnRamp

Hi All,

I have to send PO(850) to the supplier, we both have webMethods on either side. Unfortuantely they do not have EDIINT capability and we do not have Ariba OnRamp. Is there a way we can send cXML. Please throw me some ideas.

Thanks,
Suman

Sumar,

For EDI transmission is your partner not interested in SMTP or FTP or VAN connections?This will solve without having EDIINT capablity.

If no Ariba OnRamp,Any reason of your system choosen cXML format?
Instead you can go with standard XML documents and exchange with your TP’s via HTTP or using other available transports.

There could be other options exist for exchanging CXML with out Ariba module,so someone will assist you elaborately.

HTH,
RMG

Thanks for your reply.

We have VAN as an alternative, but we are trying to explore cXML because of the VAN charges.

Suman

Totally agree VAN exhange is cost effective.

If no Ariba OnRamp,Any reason of your system choosen cXML format?
Instead you can go with standard XML document exchange.

Any reason?

As I stated the supplier has the cXML capability. Yes XML is an option unless we both agree to it.

Hi RMG,

Also it is in our interest to follow some standard either X12 or cXML.

• Suman

If you’re going to use cXML it would be beneficial to use the Ariba OnRamp. Otherwise, you’ll need to reinvent a lot of what’s already written for processing and generating cXML documents. IMO, you’ll easily spend time and effort (money) that exceeds the cost of getting the OnRamp.

Suman,

You can download the cXML DTD from [URL=“http://www.cxml.org/”]http://www.cxml.org/[/URL]. You can then generate the cXML OrderRequest document type (and all others) from the DTD and write your code (mapping and etc.) around this document.

As Rob mentioned, however, you will have to write some extra code in order to accomplish some things that are already built-in to the Ariba OnRamp. Example: payloadId generation. But if you have more time than money, this may be a good approach for you.

• Percio

Thank you very much Percio.

I thought the same way what you are suggesting.

But I was wondering whether the cXML specification calls for any acknowledgments back, if so it will be synchronous or asynchronous or it is upto us how to implement?

Thanks,
Suman

I can certainly appreciate the desire to roll your own solution without using the OnRamp, but questions such as this are precisely why I would recommend using the OnRamp. This has all been figured out and implemented already.

The interactions are all defined within the cXML spec. The low-level interactions are sync while the higher levels are async. For example, the punchout process is a combination where the user is “handed off” to your site from the Ariba network (sync), the user shops and fills the shopping cart, and then your site sends the checked-out cart back to the procurement app via the Ariba network (async).

It’s been a few years since I’ve done Ariba stuff so someone please correct me if I’m off on my description.

Suman,

Within the DTD, you will find a cXML Response document. For OrderRequests (and I believe for most other cXML documents), this is the document that is sent back synchronously to the sender. Example:

When you go to [URL=“http://www.cxml.org/”]http://www.cxml.org/[/URL] to download the DTD, make sure you get the “complete download,” which is a ZIP file that includes a cXML User’s Guide. Be sure to look through that guide to better understand the protocol. Understanding the intricacies of the protocol should help you with deciding whether the Ariba OnRamp is a good buy for you or not.

• Percio

Awesome response Percio.

Suma,

The cXML messages OrderRequest/OrderResponse payloads with or with out attachments,and AribaOnRamp will not expect immediate ack’s for these messages like Rosettanet integrations does.So you can consider with async model and upon trading partner mutual understanding.

HTH,
RMG

Thanks to Percio, Rob and RMG for your wonderful replies and generating an interesting discussion.

What I can concluded is to see if I can come up with a solution with minimum functionality and still can be supportable. I still have to talk to our trading partner and see if I can get some inputs. Our X12 setup is already in place with us and won’t take much time bring in this partner online for VAN, I will try to spend 2-3 days and if I fiund out it is too much of an effort, we can always switch back to our alternative.

Thanks Again
Suman