Connecting Dsigner to my WebMethods server

Can some tell me how I can get Designer 8.2, that is being used for CAF/Portlet development, to see a remote My webMethods server?

Designer is installed on a Laptop and the MWS is running at a remote location and I am trying to get the the two talk to each other so I can do CAF/Portlet development remotely. I looked through the documentation for the install process and the CAF Development help but didn’t see anything that tells me how to do this.

Hi Gilbert,

Open UI Perspective → Servers → Right Click → New → Server → My webMethods Server (Remote).

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

I’m a new to this install/setup process so excuse my ignorance.

I did what you suggest and it looks like it tried to connect but it says that it was unable to start the server but the remote server is already running. I don’t understand this.

Here is the exact message:

Server My webMethods Server (Remote) at NRS was unable to start within 20 seconds. If the server requires more time, try increasing the timeout in the server editor.

Hi Gilbert,

Please share the version of your designer. If you have access to update manager and empower, please update your designer.

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

It’s Designer 8.2

I did a new install on my laptop this morning. So I would expect to have the latest version of Designer. Is that a correct assumption?

Hi Gilbert,

Please check the last post of this thread: MWS Admin Tab in Designer - webMethods - Software AG Tech Community & Forums

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

I think that helped but things are still not setup correctly.

When I try to run a simple test portlet on the remote MWS nothing happens. I was expecting to see a preview of the portlet. The one youtube tutorial I saw has a log in screen appear where you type in sysadmin for the username and the password and then the portlet shows up as it would in a browser. This is not happening for me.

Why?

Is there more setup that need to be done?

You need to follow the same procedure and create My webMethods Preview Server.

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

I did but I can’t get it to work.
When I try to set up a preview server it will not allow it to be set up as a remote server. When I set it up as a localhost It doesn’t work. So, could you please give me step by step instructions on how to get the preview server to work?

I have preview server configured as local host and I am able to start the preview server but when I try to run my test portlet using the preview server I get this error:

It seems some other application server is running on 8888 port. Change the port of preview server to some other say 8889.

Where do you do that? I can’t find any place where you can set the port for the preview server.

edit the following file:

.metadata.plugins\com.webMethods.caf.server.wmportal\previewserver\config\jetty.xml

replace:

with

and start your MWS Preview server at 8889.

HTH.

Thanks,
Rankesh

That did not work I now get this error:

I tried to correct it but I have not been able to. I even shutdown designer and tried restarting but it did not work either. I have no database installed locally is that the issue?

Is there any way of configuring a remote preview server? That is what I was originally trying to do but was not able to.