Computer HANGS.....

Successfully installed 4.1.4 on Windows XP. The Tamino welcome page launches, and everything is good; database active webdav active.

Whenever I lauch any of the tamino tools (Xquery, Schema , Xplorer), after exiting the system freezes. Cannot move the mouse, cannot ctrl-alt-delete…nothing. I have to power down.

Any suggestions on this one. I upgraded Java to version 1.4.1_02 and reinstalled Tamino because I was having this same problem with a previous Java version. Still have same problem with this version.

Hello.

I’m sorry if this is a silly question, but: have you checked which Java installation is actually being used by the scripts which start the tools?

In the script which starts the Schema Editor (for example), the value of JAVA_HOME is explicitly set. On my system, it is set to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Software AG\jre 1.4.1_01”.
So JRE 1.4.1_01 is always used (even though I had 1.4.1_03 installed before I installed Tamino).
(You can find the Schema Editor script somewhere around here:

C:\Program Files\Software AG\Tamino\Tamino 4.1.4.1\X_Tools\Tamino_Schema_Editor\inoschema.cmd)

There have been reports of JRE 1.4.1_01 being very unstable under certain conditions, though I have not experienced any problems.

Greetings,
Trevor.

Hello,

I?ve also encountered a similar situation. On my desktop system everything works correctly. But on my laptop (a Compaq Armada E500) with Windows 2000 I could crash the system (blue screen of death) with the following error message:
*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005,0x8046AEB5, 0x00000000,0x00000840)
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

*** Address 8046AEB5 base at 80400000, DateStamp 3d366b8b - ntoskrnl.exe

To make a long story short, I resolved this with an updated of the display driver. Appears the problem has nothing to do with Tamino or the utilities. I could reproduce this error outside of any of the Software AG products.

From COMPAQ I got the fix SP24517, Notebooks Windows 2000 ATI Video Fix for Microsoft SMS Issue (which also corrects graphics display problems in Microsoft Office). The URL is: http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/armada/us/download/18289.html

As a test try two things. First change your display colors to 256 and re-test. Next, (after re-seting the Colors back to the original value) try lowering the hardware acceleration to disable the DirectDraw and Direct3D accelerations. If either of these resolves the problem then the display driver is the issue and most likely needs to be updated with the appropriate one for your system also. :cool:

Hi Rob,

thanks - your posting just reminded me of something that I saw on another list a few months ago: the same problem with ATI cards in IBM Thinkpads.

This is logged in the Java bug database: JWS crashes upon startup

Greetings,
Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

I think that’s it. I put the old video driver back in place. Then I copied the inoschema.cmd making my own copy.

since the java version is hardcoded in the command file, I modified Myinoschema.cmd and pointed Java to the 1.4.1_02 version also installed on the laptop. This (Myinoschema.cmd) run without error. Pointed to the original inoschema.cmd and the system crashed (as before).

Thanks Trevor!
Rob :smiley:

Thanks for this tip Trevor. I had exactly the same problem that Rob described (blue screen of death), when closing the Schema Editor on my Acer laptop with Windows XP. As you suggested my JRE was set to 1.4.1_01 in the inoschema.cmd file. An upgrade to 1.4.1_06 and the necessary file modification did the trick. You are a star!