ApplinX migration from version 4 to 10.11

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

ApplinX 4 and ApplinX 10.11

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

Customer upgrade project

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

Migrate ApplinX and web (dot net) app from 4 yo 10.11 and from 6 to 10 respectively

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

Migrating ApplinX V4 to 10.11 having no IDE for the former.

Customer shared gxz that was copied into db folder as ApplinX.gxz of the new application replacing the original ApplinX.gxz that was there.

Web app is running on IIS version 6 that we intend replacing with the version 10.

The intention is to generate IIS web app from ApplinX 10.11 and add asp screens from the old web app.

Currently old web app has connection for the ApplinX database, assume this database should be completely ignored in the new setup ? Or these data from the database should be somehow migrated to the high version ?

Kindly advise, if this is the right approach or not,
and if such migration is possible at all or not ?

Not asking for documentation but exists will appreciate if you share.

Thank you
Leonard

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

Not aware about fixes for ApplinX 4 but will install latest fro 10.11

There is documentation! :wink:
ApplinX User Guide > Getting Started > Upgrading, Migrating and Installing Fixes
ApplinX Upgrade Documentation
Don’t forget to run the ApplinX Web Application Manager (Post Update Tasks).

The last big upgrade jump I did was for APX8.2 to 10.11 and Windows Server 2000 to Windows Server 2019. The .Net upgrade is much more complicated as you will need to keep the Visual J++ runtime (vjredist.exe), install “.Net Extensibility 4.5” and use the “.net 2.0 classic” app pool (32-bit) in IIS. I’ve done upgrades from APX5.2, but not from APX 4.

You may need to search on upgrading from IIS asp.net to aspx.net - support for VB.net does not appear to be a priority for Microsoft.

1 Like

Hi Leonard,

I don’t think we ever tried to upgrade from version 4 to 10.X, so I really have no idea what would work and what will not.

I can tell you in general that the .NET web application in 4.7 used the old base-object code, which is not supported anymore.

My assumption is that the customer will need to re-write most, if not all, of the .NET code.

I think that as a general approach, you should not attempt to upgrade but as you mentioned, mostly start on the new version and see if there’s any way of using existing assets.

It might work but like I said we never tried it and don’t have any experience with such a use-case.

Regards,

Gadi

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.