webMethod Upgrade 8.2.2 to 10.5 With TN to MFT migration

Hi Everyone,
For one of our client, we have a requirement from migrating from 8.2.2 to 10.5. Apart from upgrade there is a request to convert all Trading Network interface currently hosted on 8.2.2 to MFT when migration is done on 10.5 .
Would appreciate if one can provide guidance about its feasibility and what could be the best approach to achieve this ?

1 Like

Hi Kumar,

Please go through Supported Upgrade Paths for Software AG Products for migrating B2B from 8.2.2 to 10.5

Regarding moving to MFT, I believe MFT/Active Transfer is mostly on file-based operations. If your B2B existing interfaces are all file-based then you can use MFT.

Please refer to Installation and Upgrade Information for Software AG Products.

I’m interested to know more about MFT acting as B2B, so let us wait to hear from others as well.

Regards,
Firoz N

Thanks @Firoz for your response. Yes its all File based operations. Wondering if there is any way one can achieve any automation while moving from TN to MFT as we have numerous interfaces and don’t want to perform manual conversion. Please suggest.

Hi Kumar.

as there is no direct migration path, you will need two intermediate migrations:
either 9.5 or 9.8 and then migrate to 9.12 before migrating to 10.5.

If you can use MFT depends on your license as MFT is a separate licensed component as well as TN is.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

@Holger_von_Thomsen : Thanks for the comment. Yes, client will be procuring the license accordingly but before that I would like to understand about its feasibility(they are all file transfer interfaces) and if we know any automation we can achieve for migrating from TN to MFT. Please suggest.

Hi Kumar,

I don´t think that the migration from TN to MFT can be automated, as these are following completely different concepts.

BTW:
I would not mix up the migration from TN to MFT together with one of the version upgrades for clarity during migrations.
There is enough stuff to be checked and corrected during each migration due to deprecated/changed services etc.
I would suggest to do the migrations from 8.2 to 10.5 still using TN first and after that you can plan and perform the migration from TN to MFT. When doing the MFT migration first you will have to check MFT for the version upgrades additionally.
I think that migration TN is easier here as it did not change very much except that the native TNConsole has been retired meanwhile and its functionality has been moved to MWS B2B section.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hi Kumar,

additional question:
Is the file transfer inbound, outbound or both?

Just thinking if it might not be enough to switch to plain SFTP Built-In Functionality for this.
Built-In SFTP is available since wM 9.5.
For inbound file transfer you will need an additional notification service which will be invoked to notify you about new files.

@Holger_von_Thomsen : It’s going to be both inbound and outbound transaction.

Hi Kumar,

I have asked for the directions as there is no SFTP Port available/possible in wM (there are only FTP/FTPS-Ports available).
See my previous answer for possible solution.
When notified by the notification service (i.e. a small web service) that there are new files to be processed these can be retrieved by SFTP get-service.
See IS Built-In-Services Reference for details.

Regards,
Holger

Thanks @Holger_von_Thomsen , I will take a look into it. Meanwhile, I have one followup question in same upgrade context. Client want to move away from Oracle Database from their 8.2.2 to SQLServer on 10.5. This is with respect to TN. I know this will lead to some manual intervention but can you please guide us the best approach for this upgrade(with different database) ?

Hi Kumar,

as the migration will be side-by-side anyway, just create the new schemas on MS SQLServer and forget the old data.
You will have to keep up the old system in parallel until old data is definitely no longer needed and then retire it.

Migration of data from one database type to another is very complicated and should be avoided by any means.
We did so recently the other way round (from MS SQLServer to Oracle), but we only migrated the business data residing in its own schemas and recreated the wM schemas from scratch for migration from 8.2 via 9.5 to 9.12 as we additionally had to move from Windows Server to Solaris Unix.

BTW: TN is also available on Oracle. If possible you can check for MySQL database as a replacement.

Regards,
Holger