Using COM objects from Unix

Hi,
Does anbody know how to use COM objects from within an Integration Server running on Unix (Solaris)?
I tried to use the WmWin32 package but I guess they’re only usable when the IS is deployed on NT (I got a NoClassDefFoundError when I tried it on Unix).
If so, does somebody have an idea on how to use COM objects (dll) from IS on Unix.
Thanks,

cdrc

you cannot use the wmwin32 package in unix. you will either write java client to call com object via some protocals, usually http, or there are a number of vendors who provide API that allow you to call com API within java code.

We have this same issue. Is there no way to call a COM / DCOM object from a Unix IS 4.6 server?

Can wM do a remote invoke, by calling the object if the object is on the a Windows server?

If not, what work-arounds have been used by others? Leo suggested a java client that calls the COM object. Any others?

Thanks!
Cort

All,

Need to integrate with Exchange 2000 from IS 6.0.1 running on AIX. Is there still no way to do this, or am I missing something? Do I need to stand up a service on a Windows box and remote invoke it from the AIX server? Thanks.

Hi

Java COM wrappers (eg Jacob) will only work on WinTel platforms because they use JNI calls to invoke COM and Win32 libraries.
There are a few ways to do this:

1. Use Java remote invocation server/client. Have a Java server on the Windows box invoking COM via wrapper. Java client can call this server from webMethods from AIX.
  2. Expoise the COM library as a WebService in, say, .NET and invoke the service as such from webMethods. This is probably the way to go!
  3. Similar to the first option, code Java/COM bridge as a sesionless EJB, deploy it in JBoss on Windows box. Use built-in JBoss in webMethods to invoke functionality on Windows as a remote EJB call. This solution is probably more reliable and scalable than (1), but there are issues with Java/COM bridge (eg if your COM code accesses file-system for example, this won’t work, as EJBs are not allowed direct access to local file system).

So there’s a couple options you can play with, all depending on your requirements, time & skill-set available.
I hope this helps!

Regards,

Hido Hasimbegovic
www.customware.net
Home of WmUnit

Hi

Java COM wrappers (eg Jacob) will only work on WinTel platforms because they use JNI calls to invoke COM and Win32 libraries.
There are a few ways to do this:

1. Use Java remote invocation server/client. Have a Java server on the Windows box invoking COM via wrapper. Java client can call this server from webMethods from AIX.
  2. Expoise the COM library as a WebService in, say, .NET and invoke the service as such from webMethods. This is probably the way to go!
  3. Similar to the first option, code Java/COM bridge as a session-less EJB, deploy it in JBoss on Windows box. Use built-in JBoss in webMethods to invoke functionality on Windows as a remote EJB call. This solution is probably more reliable and scalable than (1), but there are issues with Java/COM bridge (eg if your COM code accesses file-system for example, this won’t work, as EJBs are not allowed direct access to local file system).

So there’s a couple options you can play with, all depending on your requirements, time & skill-set available.
I hope this helps!

Regards,

Hido Hasimbegovic
www.customware.net
Home of WmUnit

Thanks Hido. I’ll have to see how cooperative the Exchange server guys will be, but this gives some good choices.