Upgrading from 6.5 to v8

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade to v8 from 6.5 without the inter-mediate hop on v7. So now I’m in hunt for information regarding upgrade. Our current architecture consists of IS 2 nodes in cluster, 1 broker, MyWebMethods Server and TN. Most number of the interfaces are interacting with SAP and file transfers, few EDI interfaces constitute to the rest of interfaces.

I’m new to handling a migration. Request anyone who has attempted this direct migration or have experience in migrations to give me some insight as to how to go about it such as any default steps to be followed. Obviously installation would be the first step and I have found enough documentation on installation and configuration, there shouldn’t be much problems in it.

1. But after installing, would just migrating the packages, routing rules, database connections work or should we re-code/re-design the interfaces in v8?

My client is also looking to have the new v8.0 on virtual server architecture with 2 servers, one as a DR, after a little googling and searching thru forums, found the VMware is one of the answers to it. More digging on this later but for now I need to come up with…

[INDENT]2. Best practices in Architecture.
3. Upgrade approach.
[/INDENT]So please bear with me if the questions sound so basic and would greatly appreciate if anyone could throw some light on this.

Regards,
Suren.

Hi,

Our organization is also looking for same kind of upgrade.

We have 6.5 IS version and are looking to upgrade to 7.1.2 and also considering 8.0 SP1.we have SAP adapter 4.6 version which doesn’t run on ART.

If you are running on 4.6 version SAP adapter definitely you have to look for some deprecated services and recode then to work with 6.5/7.1. if you are already in 6.5 version that process must be pretty much smooth to 7.1 version SAP adapter. There are migration scripts provided to migrate from 4.6 version to 6.5 but they only work if all the routing rules are defined in a standard folder structure.

Coming to database, upgrade from 6.5 to 7.1.2 there is a migration script to run if you have applied specific FIXes on 6.5 version. I guess all 6.5 SP3 version has to run this scripts to support on 7.1.2. I believe that will be same to be applied to move on to 8.0 SP1.

We are running our servers right now on Vmware with two nodes. And I am going to do the same thing if I migrate to 7.1.2 or 8.0 SP1.

Please do share me if you have any documents related to upgrade from 6.5 to 8.0 SP1.

Thanks,

Hi,
I have a question on TN migration while migrating from 6.5 to v 7.1.2. webMethods provides upgrade scripts which would migrate the TN metadata and the run time transaction History.

But what if we want to migrate in phases - a select set of Interfaces in Phase 1, next set in Phase 2 and so on. In this case , would the TN migration scripts be helpful. Does webMethods provide any option for phased migration?

If not, are there any alternatives other than doing export - import of metadata from TN console?

Thanks in advance,
Shaya

Shayar,

But what if we want to migrate in phases - a select set of Interfaces in Phase 1, next set in Phase 2 and so on. In this case , would the TN migration scripts be helpful. Does webMethods provide any option for phased migration? → What do you mean by Interfaces Phase by Phase? TN upgrade712/Migration/running scripts cannot be phase by phase,we need to follow as the document says in order for sa uccessful upgrade/ incase tech support help

If not, are there any alternatives other than doing export - import of metadata from TN console? -> No guarantee it works as is and upgrade/migration wont work with manual via export/import screens

HTH,
RMG

Hi RMG,
Thanks for your response. Please see below my reply for your comments.

What do you mean by Interfaces Phase by Phase? → We have around 200 Trading Partners and our Customer doesnt want to migrate everything at one go. Thats why I wanted to explore if there is any other alternative.

No guarantee it works as is and upgrade/migration wont work with manual via export/import screens → So you mean to say export / import of profile / TPAs via TN console would not work in case of migration? Is this because TN console is replaced with MWS in 7.1.2 ? What if we enable the deprecated components such as Profiles, TPAs etc in TN console 7.1.2?

Regards
Shaya

So you mean to say export / import of profile / TPAs via TN console would not work in case of migration? –Yes it will not work as expected and not a good practice as you are trying to upgrade a new version and follow the upgrade documentation procedure for TN.

Is this because TN console is replaced with MWS in 7.1.2 ? - Nothing to do with this.

Interesting post dude…discussion are always helpful in one way or the other. Thanks for giving out information. It’s really nice and mean full.

vps hosting | website design services