The TECH FORUMS SOFTWAREAG website?

Hi,

What and where are you guys running this website on because it’s terrible slow ex. Hardware and software and location in the world

Note: I am sitting on a 400 Mbps wire and it takes about 30 seconds to get a response from this website… .every time I hit enter.

Translated if you are not good with INGLISH : This is not an acceptable web solution for any real professional

Anton

Hi Anton,

Yes, we’ll check that and work on improving it. Are you accessing the site from USA?
We’re hosted in Europe and here the speed is ok. The forum home page and forum lists load pretty fast and opening a topics with many replies takes some more time. But 30 seconds is definitely not acceptable and something we need to look into.

Best Regards
Toni

Hi Toni,

here from Germany I am receiving NullPointerExceptions quite often when trying to display forum lists or topics no matter of size of topic.

HTML source code (as suggested by the error page) does not give a reason.
Reloading the page usually solves the issue, but sometimes it requires several tries.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Toni,

Could we find somebody that knows what WEB SERVER is being used here… the databases and the web app’s ?

and maybe even some responsible names because surely, some technical person wants to be proud of what they actually produce ?

Anton

To the Software AG people who are concerned about the comments by Anton Britz re performance; Don’t be concerned.

Performance here in the U.S. is just fine. Three seconds or less (usually less) to get between screens.

The only problem is Anton himself. About ten to fifteen years ago Anton began to post unacceptable messages on SAG-L. Eventually he was banned from SAG-L. He returned under a pseudoname and that name was also banned. Now he apparently has found the Sag Forum, and is “off his meds again”.

Save yourself some misery; ignore his performance postings and get him off Sag Forum.

Steve ,

If the SAG FORUM works just fine for you on a Saturday morning, then that is fantastic for you…

I was not trying to use it on a SATURDAY morning and I was asking genuine technical questions and nothing in my questions was personal.

Note: If you can not distinguish the difference, then it’s not me… that’s got the problem … and personal attacks on open forums because you did not like who I voted for years ago, should really be unacceptable on any forum.

Anton

Hi Anton,

Please be gentle.

Yes, everybody knows site this need improvements and, besides all the criticisms, SAG never gave much priority, although it HAS BEEN IMPROVING!

All the problems Holger stated I have them too, on a daily basis, but we keep accepting this as we need to keep the conversation open between all users, and I still have the hope that someday SAG will modernize this.

So, take a slow, deep, breath and tell me, what can we do to improve this site?

Best regards,

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback… and yes, we can only try and improve it if you give us a little more information :

a) What Operating System are you running this thing on ?
b) What is your physical environment ? Your machine size, your link speed etc. etc.
c) The Web app’s and Database ? What are you using

I spent 12 months at Clemson University last year and they provide FREE cloud storage and a 1 GB per second web connectivity to the public… for FREE

Note: We can only help you if you provide us a little more information :

Anton

Hi All,

We did few changes and there should be some improvement (not enough - we are still working on it). If you notice any improvement, please let us know.

Thanks and Best Regards
Toni

Thanks Toni,

I will try it during the course of the week…and I actually like your attitude.

Gerardo, I hope I was gentle enough for you but I get paid to make things go faster or that is how a Professor from Princeton ones described all the IBM architects on an Architectural project he was managing.

Note: It might still help if you share the architecture but obviously you do not want to embarrass somebody that makes money out of selling software.

Thanks for helping.

Anton

No - actually all the software we use is Open Source. Web server we use is Apache and database is MySQL.

Best Regards
Toni

Hi all,
We further optimized the speed and now there’s a significant improvement in big topics load speed.

We also pushed a fix to the NullPointer exception. Holger, please let me know if you still get it or if you get any other error.

Best Regards
Toni

1 Like

Thanks Toni…

If you ever come to Arizona or IDAHO, you are staying and eating for FREE :

Anton

Hi Toni,

thanks for looking at the NullPointer issue.

During this week I did not encounter any more NullPointerExceptions now.

Regards,
Holger