Terracotta Setup Through CC

Hi ,

we have Installed Terracotta servers using Composite template.
As you know, instance are not created with first run . as below error is displayed in template logs.

2016-05-03 13:34:56.763 UTC (com.softwareag. … .ApplyTemplateOperation ) [SPM.APPLY1462282460513.UnknownKey] WARN: Cannot Create Instance. REASON: Product ***** does not support instance management., Explanation: The Platform Manager plugin for product ****** does not support instance management., Action: See the Software AG Platform Manager documentation to double check if product ****** supports instance management. If the product supports instance management, contact Software AG Global Support.

and we have to run the Template again for instance to be created. and this is applicable to all products we installed. But for terrocatta even though logs shows above error. CCE dashboard shows instance of terrocata being created. ( Ex: Instance: TSA-ptseelm-lx4679.ikeadt.com)
So when i see the folders in my target server, they seem be partial. i mean installation was not completely done.

so i run my template again.
Installation is completed. Applying Template shows 100% . Restart lifecycle show fail.
Error in CEE wrapper logs :

INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/05/30 13:01:04 | 2016-05-30 13:01:04.329 UTC (com.softwareag.platform.management. … .JobImpl ) [SPM.JobImpl.SPMJOBE0003] ERROR: Job 3 failed!
INFO | jvm 1 | 2016/05/30 13:01:04 | 2016-05-30 13:01:04.329 UTC (com.softwareag.platform.management. … .JobImpl ) [SPM.JobImpl.SPMJOBE0003] ERROR: java.lang.RuntimeException: Error
occured while executing lifecycle operation on a remote managed node with alias PTE_TST_INFRA_COM_01. Remote task status is [SPMCOME0007] Un-handled internal server error. Failed to execut
e ./startup.sh from /ikea/lpp/webm/b2b/profiles/SPM/…/…/Terracotta/server/wrapper/bin >> IOException: Failed to execute ./startup.sh from /ikea/lpp/webm/b2b/profiles/SPM/…/…/Terracotta/
server/wrapper/bin

Terrcoatta wrapper logs indicates - Instance is already running.
I was not able to start or restart or stop Terracotta from CCE dashboard.

so when i login to my Target server. Kill the Terrocotta process. i was able to stop/stop/restart from CCE and Active(M) and passive (S) nodes are correctly displayed.

Question: 1) why instance was created (partially) during first run of template ? when logs clearly cannot create instance as showed above.
2) any way to fix this issue ?

Version : wm 910
Platform-Linux

Is 9.10 version for both CC and Terracotta?
Are you using default tc-layer template or a custom one?

The following log statement is not an error but a warning
WARN: Cannot Create Instance. REASON: Product ***** does not support instance management.
It is simply saying that Terracotta product does not support multiple instances and that’s true. When you install Terracotta you get only one/default instance of the server. You cannot delete it and you cannot add additional ones.
This is Terracotta server design. Command central is a generic framework and it does not have any knowledge about a particular product thus such capabilities are discovered dynamically.

The reason why you have to run the template twice for other/all products is likely because of product plugin activation.
If you’re using CC 9.10 and default tc-layer template and you bootstrap SPM and install wMFix.SPM core fix that should not happen because the template ensures SPM installs TC plugin and then applies wMFix.SPM on top which cause SPM restart and activation of the TC plugin before installing TC itself and configuring it.

1. The fact that the template requires two applications is not normal and likely the reason for startup failures.
    Since you’re on 9.10, using DEF SPM distribution is fine, but make sure your spm.fixes property is set to at least [wMFix.SPM]. Also on 9.10 you must provide TC license via license key alias. TC cannot start without the license.

Starting/stoping TC must be done via CC only. TC does not currently handle mixed use of CC and non-CC use for lifecycle management and configuration.

Thanks
Sergei

Hi Sergei,

Thanks for the reply.
Below is my Template. Reason i m including tc-config twice is Terracotta expects tc-config files to be present in
Terracotta/server/bin/ as well as in wrapper/conf.

All the Variables gets substituted from default section.

So you mean to say i need Install SPM trough CCE bootstrap script which will install FIXES as well… and that will not cause the issue while i m installation TC ?

TMPL_TC_01:
files:
“Terracotta/terracotta-license.key”: include/licenses/${TC.license.file}
“Terracotta/server/bin/tc-config.xml”: include/StoreFiles/${TC.config.file}
fixes: ${TC.fixes}
products:
TES:
default:
configuration:
TES-default:
COMMON-MEMORY:
COMMON-MEMORY:
InitSize: ${TC.memory.init}
MaxSize: ${TC.memory.max}
ExtendedProperties: # extended JVM setting
Property:
-
@name”: “-XX:MaxDirectMemorySize”
$: ${TC.memory.direct}
TC-CONFIG:
TC-CONFIG: |
<tc:tc-config xmlns:tc=“http://www.terracotta.org/config”>

/ikea/lpp/webm/logs/com_tc_01/server-data
/ikea/lpp/webm/logs/com_tc_01/server-logs

/ikea/lpp/webm/logs/com_tc_01/server-data
/ikea/lpp/webm/logs/com_tc_01/server-logs

%(com.softwareag.tc.client.logs.directory)

</tc:tc-config>
TC-SERVER-NAME:
TC-SERVER-NAME:
serverName: ${TC.Server1.Name}

Terracotta expects tc-config files to be present in Terracotta/server/bin/ as well as in wrapper/conf.
I’m not sure why you’re saying that.

For TC managed by CC the configuration file only needs to be under wrapper/conf folder because this is where it is taken from by Tanuki wrapper configuration which is the only support method of managing lifecycle of TC server from CC.

There is no need put a copy of the file under Terracotta/server/bin/ folder.

So you mean to say i need Install SPM trough CCE bootstrap script which will install FIXES as well… and that will not cause the issue while i m installation TC ?
If you configure your template to bootstrap SPM and then apply TC plugin and SPM core fixes before installing TC it will resolve your problem.

Try default tc-layer template to confirm that.

Thanks
Sergei