Tamino 4.1.4.1 Authenticate Mode Question

Hello,
I am having some difficulty getting the Tamino authenticate mode to work.
I am running Tamino 4.1.4.1 on Windows Server 2000 with IIS.
I configure my test database to use Tamino authentication.
I define Tamino users, groups, ACL for the target collections/doctypes.
IIS is configured to allow anonymous user.
When I run the mass data loader ‘inoxmld’, with the proper userid/password, Tamino appears to authenticate user access rights as expected.
However, I can not get security working in Tamino X-Plorer, Tamino Interactive Interface, or IE browser. Even if I provide the same set of valid userid/password, I still get rejected by the authentication process (XPLXPE0065, authentication failure).
Appreciate any suggestions.

Hello Thang Hoang,

there seems to be a problem in the way you set up the IIS for authentication. The massloader does not use the web server interface, but the other mentioned tools use it by default. Make sure that you have activated the “Anonymous access” tab and the “Basic Authentication” tab in the “Authentication Methods” window of the IIS configuration. All other tabs have to be deactivated in that window.

regards,
Heiko

Hi Heiko,
Thank you for responding to my question.
However, I am a little bit confusing.
If Basic Authentication is required, doesn’t it mean that Windows security is applied, and the login userid/password has to be a valid Windows account ?
I was hoping by using Tamino security, I don’t have to maintain Windows user accounts.
If all of this is true, then isn’t it defeating the purpose of Tamino security then ?
When does Tamino authentication come into play, and for what purpose ? if IIS/Windows is already authenticated user login via Windows up front ?
Any insight is appreciated.

Hello Thang Hoang,

I just tried it on a Windows 2000 Server with IIS and you actually have to also deactivate the “basic authentication” tab - then it should work. Then the userid and password will be sent unchecked to Tamino and the authentication will be performed there.
But this is what you tried in the first place, right? On the machine that I just used it worked that way…

regards,
Heiko