STOWed a GDA by mistake

Hi… I STOWed a GDA by mistake. This GDA is being used by many programs and I do not want to STOW all the programs using this GDA. Please suggest how can I undo the GDA STOWing I made by mistake?

Thanks
Shashank

The only way to “undo” this is to restore the GP (the STOWed object) from
a backup or copy it from another library where it has the same timestamp
as the overwritten object.

1 Like

Thanks Winter… might be a silly question but it just slept out of my mind

1. How to copy a Natural program from one library to another ? And
  2. How to restore the GP (the STOWed object) from a backup or copy it from another library?
  3. How to see the timestamp of any STOWed object?

Thankyou so much for your help.

Hi Shashank,

In Feb 2010 I’ve got the following from the GES (Global Educational Service); perhaps, you will find this e-mail helpful in order to subscribe to one or more offered courses. As far as I can tell it was NOT a waste of time at all, and many questions such as yours were very well explained during the learning time; just follow the included links if you don’t mind; I’m sure they offer many courses outside of North America as well.

Regards,
Nikolay Kuhta

Hi Nikolay Kuhta,

Congratulations on completing Customized Building Applications with Natural II on Feb. 15, 2010 to Feb. 16, 2010.

Global Education Services (GES) offers a wide range of education and certification solutions targeted to all customer groups and all cycles of the project chain. Members of the Global Education Services team will support all customer requests to create the right education solution for the chosen environment; including user needs analysis and training plan development. Our delivery methods include standard public offerings, standard and customized onsite training, eLearning, workshops, mentoring, education consulting, virtual classroom and - of course - any possible combination.

Here is a list of courses that may be of interest to you. For complete course descriptions, see our Course catalog: redir. To see our current course schedule in North America please visit our site: redir.

1 Like

Thanks but I do not want to join any course now. I have already worked a lot with Natural 1 years back. I’m just recalling things again and if I’m missing something I’m taking help of the forum.

Use the SYSMAIN utility.

Same answer as above, but to restore from a backup the FUSER must be restored (to a different
file) first, then copy the object to your current system file.

Use the LIST DIR command.

2a Wolfgang described the procedure using an Adabas backup of the FUser file.

2b If the backup was created by Object Handler (SYSOBJH), then use that utility to load the selected module directly from the backup file to the Natural library.

Thanks Ralph,

very valid point, although I don’t know any mainframe sites using SYSOBJH
for backups … probably not a too bad idea and more sites should do.

SYSOBJH will take longer, but there are advantages:

• no file locking issues
  • selection criteria (libraries, objects, etc)
  • TRANSFER option allows load to mainframe or Open Systems (but the mainframe unload will take much longer)

Right, but in TRANSFER mode you can’t unload GPs, i.e. only sources can be “backed up”,
thus it won’t help in this case to restore a STOWed GDA to get it back with the original
timestamp.