Sqlserver jdbc connection failed

Product/components used and version/fix level:

webMethods Integration 10.15 Free Trial

Detailed explanation of the problem:

An error has occurred during the database connection. How can I resolve this? Please help.

Error messages / full error message screenshot / log file:

[ART.118.5011] Adapter Runtime (Connection): Unable to create a new connection for SNDAdapter:msSQL_Notrn.
[ADA.1.204] Unable to establish a connection to the database using the DataSource class “com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDataSource”.
The “encrypt” property is set to “true” and the “trustServerCertificate” property is set to “false,” but the driver cannot establish a secure connection to the SQL Server using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) encryption. Error: The server-selected protocol version TLS10 is not accepted by client preferences [TLS13, TLS12, TLS11].

Question related to a free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

1 Like

Hi,

please provide JDBC Adapter version and SQL Server driver version.

TLS10 (TLS v1.0) is considered deprecated, same applies to TLS11 (TLS v1.1).
Can you provide some more details about your JDBC Connection config, esp. the “Other Properties” field?

You might want to cross check this with your SQL Server DBA.

Regards,
Holger

3 Likes

I’m using openJDK 19, so I’ve used mssql-jdbc-12.4.2.jre11. How can I check the version of the JDBC adapter?

Thank you.

Hello @biberdw

In the connection configuration, put serviceName=qwe;driverType=thin in the Other Properties field. In the Sever Name field, it is better to use the IP address like 127.0.0.1.

I presume you have already downloaded the driver and put it to the folder SoftwareAG\IntegrationServer\instances\default\packages\WmJDBCAdapter\code\jars if you are using the default instance.

Best regards !

3 Likes

Hello. @codrelphi
I have actually attempted to connect using an external IP address. I’ve entered serviceName and driverType in the Other Properties, but the issue persists, and the same error message occurs.
Thank you

1 Like

@biberdw Add the parameters encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=true in the Other Properties field. So you will have this: serviceName=qwe;driverType=thin;encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=true

After the modification of the Other Properties field, if the issue still remained, go to your database management tools and test if you really have access to your database (qwe) using the credentials you provide above (User, Password). And provide us a screenshot of the content of this folder SoftwareAG\IntegrationServer\instances\default\packages\WmJDBCAdapter\code\jars and a screenshot of your actual connection configuration (like what you provide above).

3 Likes

Hi,

I am not sure if the option “driverType=thin” applies to MS SQL Server driver.
I only used it to tell the oracle driver to use JDBC Type 4 thin mode instead of JDBC Type 2 oci mode, which would require an additional native lib.

In addition to Chancerel, you might need to add an option for specifying the exact TLS version (>= v1.2).

Regards,
Holger

3 Likes

@Holger_von_Thomsen You are right about the option “driverType=thin”.
@biberdw Please skip the option “driverType=thin” in the Other Properties field. Also make sure to restart your Integration Server if you didn’t do it after installing the driver jars.

2 Likes

@codrelphi
Yes, I was able to access the database using my management tool. There are no issues with the credentials (username, password). I have also included the encrypt option and trustServerCertificate in otherProperties, but the same error message as before persists. Thank you.

@Holger_von_Thomsen
How can I add options to specify the TLS version (>= v1.2) when connecting?

@biberdw Please, do the following actions:
1- go to your Integration Server Admin Panel (by default it is on ipAdress:5555)
2- on the left sidebar, click on Extended button inside the Settings tab.
3- now, look for the following options:
- watt.net.jsse.client.enabledProtocols
- watt.net.jsse.server.enabledProtocols
- watt.net.jsse.client.disabledProtocols
- watt.net.jsse.server.disabledProtocols

Please give us the values of these properties. It is possible in your case to not find two of the above properties. Give us what you find.

1 Like

Hi,

as we did not work with ms sql server databases lately I am not aware of this.
We have worked with Oracle databases most of the time.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

@codrelphi
Yes, I found two options:

• watt.net.jsse.client.disabledProtocols: SSLv2Hello, SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1
  • watt.net.jsse.server.disabledProtocols: SSLv2Hello, SSLv3, TLSv1, TLSv1.1

However, I couldn’t find the following two options:

• watt.net.jsse.client.enabledProtocols
  • watt.net.jsse.server.enabledProtocols

Thank you.

1 Like

@biberdw
The options watt.net.jsse.client.disabledProtocols and watt.net.jsse.server.disabledProtocols contain the correct values.

In short you are using webMethods 10.15, JDBC Adapter 12.4.2. What is the version of your MS SQL Server ?
At this point I think there is a mismatch between the version of the adapter and the version of the database server. Let us know its version.

PS: if the version is really old and you can get an actual version of the database, get it. Keep the previous Other Properties options in the previous posts ( serviceName=qwe;encrypt=true;trustServerCertificate=true). Test the connection to your database with your database management tool. Restart the IS and the issue should go.

1 Like

Hi,

JDBC Adapter for webMethods ART on IntegrationServer should have a version 10.3 with Fixes.
12.4.2 is just the version of the MS SQL Server JDBC driver.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

@codrelphi
Hello.
The version of MSsql I am using is Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.2000.8, and I have tried changing the JDBC drivers to the following versions, but I am still experiencing the same error:

• mssql-jdbc-7.4.1.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-9.2.0.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-9.2.1.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-12.2.0.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-12.2.0.jre11
  • mssql-jdbc-12.4.0.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-12.4.0.jre11
  • mssql-jdbc-12.4.2.jre8
  • mssql-jdbc-12.4.2.jre11

Thank you

@biberdw I guess you are doing some testing on your local environment. So, if possible upgrade your MS SQLServer to a recent version like 2019 or 2022. You can still using wM10.15 and the jdbc driver 12.4.2.

2 Likes

@codrelphi
I have resolved the issue by switching the database to Oracle.
Thank you.

2 Likes