SQL Server JDBC v10.2 driver and above requires a change for webMethods JDBC adapter usage

This is not a question, but is an answer to anyone else who wants to create a JDBC Adapter version 10.3 connection from webMethods IS to a SQL/Server database with Microsoft JDBC adapter version 10.2 and above.

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

Here is a complete list of software and documentation that relate to this post:

Docmentation for 10-3_Adapter_for_JDBC_Install_and_Users_Guide.pdf - page 73
webMethods IS version 10.11
webMethods JDBC adapter version 10.3
Microsoft SQL/Server JDBC adapter version 12.2 (issue started with version 10.2)

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

This is a customer instance - it was done on our dev box but it would be considered a production instance by SoftwareAG per their defintiion.

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

I was trying to set up a JDBC Adapter connection from my webMethods system to a SQL/Server database and I followed the instructions on page 73 of the manual “10-3_Adapter_for_JDBC_Install_and_Users_Guide.pdf” - here is what I had for the values it asks for when I told it I wanted to create a new connection:

Transaction Type:Local Transaction
Driver Group: Default
DataSource Class: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDataSource
Server Name:
User:
Password:
Database Name:
Port Number: <1433 which is the default for SQL/Server or whatever your DBA says it is>
Network Protocol: I left this field blank
Other Properties: Was originally blank, see discussion below for what to put here

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

So when I saved the above, it would save, but then when I tested it via the test connection button, I got the following error:

[ART.118.5011] Adapter Runtime (Connection): Unable to create new connection JDBCConnections:webMethods.
[ADA.1.204] Cannot connect to the database with DataSource class “com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDataSource”.
The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: “PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target”. ClientConnectionId:3a4cf158-84b8-40a8-8ca8-9fc84d549363

What I found out from other sources was that Microsoft changed a default starting with version 10.2. If you don’t specify anything in “Other Properties”, it’s the equivalent ot typing:

Other Properties: encrypt=true

If you then change the true to false …

Other Properties: encrypt=false

Then the connection above works. Here is where I found this out to give full credit to the people who posted to this:

java - SQL Server/Spring Boot: PKIX path building failed: unable to find valid certification path to requested target - Stack Overflow

The article also in the noted comments discusses how to set up the trust relationship so you can say encrypt=true and have it work for those that need to do that.

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

All patches for the above products were installed at the time of this posting. The Microsoft driver was the latest one released at the time of this posting as well but the version that caused this issue started with 10.2 and is an issue for any Microsoft JDBC driver for version 10.2 and above.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Bruce! Moving that to our Knowledge base section as a tip. I’m sure a lot of members will find it helpful.

2 Likes

Toni - you’re welcome - I really wanted to share this because it wasn’t obvious and it caused me to have to do some serious internet searching and I thought that if I documented it clearly here that it would help the next person to not have to replicate that search.

1 Like

Definitely fun when defaults change. Ran into something similar with SQL Server driver updates in another context (not wM). Always “fun” to track those things down. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.