Refactoring funcionality

Hello everybody!

I’ve been testing the Refactoring functionality during last weeks and it seems that Predict and Natural Construct are required for the complete conclusion of the process.

Does anybody know if these products are realy required?

I’m doing the tests under Windows XP.

Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Current released version requires CST and PRD for the DB split.

However, in the next update, this requirement has been removed.

Therefore, you will not require CST or PRD in order to perform the refactoring functionality. In fact, you will be able to run the complete refactoring function on the PC if you wish.

Next update scheduled end of March 2006.

HTH
BJ

Brian,

When you say current released version, what version are you exactly talking about?
You talk about next update which is scheduled end of march 2006. What version will be this?

I’m using NEE 5.2.1 without CST and PRD. With this environment can I execute phase 1 (Preparation), skip phase 2 (Data I/O Split) and execute phase 3 (Presentation Layer Split) or phase 2 is prerequisite for the phase 3?

Thanks.

Hi,

NEE5312…

Phase II uses the CST and PRD stuff which is not required come the NEE5312 release.

You are right - Phase II is NOT a pre-req for the Phase III. Therefore, you can perform presentation layer split without the DB split - but beware of conversational db loops!

Regards
BJ

Hello!

I’d like to expose some problems I’m having with NEE Refactoring functionality.
I know Refactoring has three phases but I’m skipping the phase two. One of the messages above says that it’s possible.

Phase 1, task 2:
In this task, all the maps with in-line processing rules are identified and their rules are transferred to a new subprograms.
The calling objects for each map are identified and modified to reference the new processing rules subprograms.

Errors:
I. The new maps (now, without the in-line rules) are converted to subprograms but the calling objects maintain the INPUT USING MAP command. i[/i]

II. The CALLNAT’s included in the calling objects are created empty. i[/i]

III. A DECIDE ON is created without any VALUE clause. i[/i]

Phase 3, task 1:
When this task is executed, at least one subprogram, two copycodes and two PDA’s are created for each object that needs to have its presentation layer splitted.

Errors:
IV. If more than one object is selected at the same time, only the last one has the new objects created. The same name of objects are being used for all the objects. Therefore, the other new objects are being replaced.

V. In the one of modified programs, a DECIDE ON was created with errors. i[/i]

VI. Original LDA’s was converted to a PDA’s and their views was converted to a structures but the referencing objects maintains the FIND commands. i[/i]

I’m using NEE521 under WinXP without Predict and Construct.

Thanks a lot.
Refactoring problems.doc (49.5 KB)

Hi,

Can you upgrade to NEE531 SP2 as refactoring has improved since NEE521.

Regards
BJ

Hi Brian!
Thank you for the quick answer.

I haven’t the NEE531 and I think I won’t have it on time to conclude my project.
So, I appreciate you analyse this problems for me.

Thanks again.

Hello Brian,

I forgot to tell that I made the tests using Hospital library.

I really need you analyze my questions but, if NEE521 really has problems and you won’t analyze my questions because of it, please give me at least some tips about them.

Thanks a lot

Hi.

I’m very interested on the Refactoring funcionality and I read in this topic that version 5.3.1.2 wouldn’t be require Predict and Construct to perform

Refactoring funcionality.

I’m using the version 5.4.1 for Windows but both of those softwares are still being required.

I’ll really need Predict and Construct to perform complete Refactoring funcionality?

Hi,

Previous versions of NEE required PRD and CST in order to perform the DB Split (Database Access). This is no longer the case since around NEE5312.

Therefore, you do not need CST or PRD for NEE refactoring.

HTH
BJ