Printing question

Hi,

we have now successfully rolled out our application worldwide…
Mainframe application runs under z/os, Complete and Connect, Applinx application is version 8.1.2.3 with Java.

Now my question: there are more and more questions from all the world, if they can’t print on their net printers.
Do you have a simple solution for some hundred users to do so? Keep in mind, that the printers are defined to Complete and Connect.

Another question is: Connect gives the possibility to ‘print’ on PC (into a file). Has anybody an idea (or even experience) how that could be realized on the (ApplinX-) server? (F.e. write to a temp directory of the server and than send by email or so?).

Thanks in advance
Michael

Hi Michael,

Are we talking about a web enablement project or SOA?

Regards,
Ohad

Hi Ohad,

it’s a web enablement project.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,

ApplinX server supports Printer sessions. You need to configure your ApplinX application to enable printing and configure it properly.
Once you do that, you can try and run the run_printlet.jsp page wich contains a java applet that allows users to print to any printer that is defined on the client’s PC (including Print to file option).

For more information click Here

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Best regards,
Ohad

Thanks Ohad,

this solution seems not to work for us, because we are using load balancing. I should have mentioned that before…

Do you see any possibility for using the Connect function ‘print to file’ on the server?

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

What kind of load balancing have you implemented?
What is the ApplinX server/Web server Architecture on the customer site?

As long as ApplinX server and the Web server are on the same machine and the web application is configured to work with an ApplinX application that is on the local ApplinX server , using the Printlet should be possible.

Regards,
Ohad

Hi Ohad,

it’s an SAG-internal project, it’s AVS@web, if you have heard about it…
We have got an Apache web server, which load balances to two Tomcats with the help of mod_jk, all on the same server.
There is no ApplinX installed on that server, the application is deployed in whole to the two Tomcats.

As I understood now, it would be possible to use this Printlet.

Is there a coherent documentation on what to do where. I only found something here, a little bit there and found nothing what to do/define on mainframe.

Thanks again for your help
Michael

Hi Michael,

In order to tell if using the Printlet would be possible, I need to know whether or not the web session is sticky This means that once a user is redirected to one of the tomcats , he stay on that tomcat for as long as the web session is alive.

Another thing to consider is that you’ll have to use the Printlet redirector, because, the tomcat and ApplinX server are not on the same machine.

More about the redirector: here

Let me know if this helps,
Ohad