Outbound IDOC mapping help needed

I have a flat file that contains and IDOC (we batch outbound data from SAP in our current environemnt). Anyhow, the flat file has a different IDOC segment every record (EDI_DC40 , E1EDKA1, etc.) all in order. I created a new document type in Designer and had it connect to our SAP DDIC and pull down the IDOC definition. I’m just starting my first outbound EDI map (940 from IDOC) and I’m not able to load the input file when I try to run the flow service. I get “Unable to parse input file.” I’m suspecting or wondering if it’s because the definition pulled in by WM from SAP has a top node of the IDOC type with a couple indented nodes (DELVRY03 → IDOC → EDI_DC40, all the records after that in a hierarchical-looking foramt) and my flat file from SAP isn’t written like that. As I said, it’s just one record after the other starting with the EDI_DC40 record. Would that cause this issue?

Also, I’m doing the individual segment mappings and in the header segment, there’s a value I’m needing to pull from later on in the IDOC. On the input side of the segment maps, I assume I load the entire doc reference pointing to the IDOC document as the input and then the entire 940 DT created by WM on the output. Is that correct? I don’t seem to be able to map over the fields later on in the IDOC to the EDI document in the map. I can drag the mapping link but it doesn’t stay and the mapping button isn’t available either.

I know these are a lot of questions but if anyone could nudge me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks,
Damon

Hi Dick,

At a high level:

Most likely the issue may be I/p to o/p format (recursive segments/element) in nature EDI_DC40/IDOC segment-> 940/ST level to EDI_DC40/IDOC segment… Basically you need to break out the main mapping to micro level services ( segment based mapping) for ex:mapping_IDOCSegment_N1,mapping_IDOCmapping_REF and then add logic with in it by looping (in/out arrays) this way the source to target linking will be easily manageable and then aggregate the segment mapping in the main processing service for convertToString (outbound) flow to TN etc…

Also It’s pretty difficult to assume and respond with out peeking the pipeline in/out (as you already seeing the behavior like the explicit mapped links getting unmapped due to its hierarchical doc lists) and it will only be resolved while debugging of this kind of X12-> IDOC segment wise mappings.

Please Keep trying and throw some screen shots if you are still continued to facing the issue.

HTH,
RMG

RMG,

Thanks for your response. I’ve attached just a couple screenshots to see if this helps. I can’t copy in the IDOC file of course, but like I said, it’s just one IDOC segment per record - not hierarchical like the document type created when I pulled the definition down from SAP. I’m showing you the main map flow which only has the one call to the segment mapping for the W05 (IDOC → 940) and this is the first segment in the EDI transaction. I’m still getting the unable to process input file right now.

Any guidance?

Thanks,
Damon

OK will take a look.

But as per your screen shots it shows a straight fwd mapping you had in place for segment mapping and main mapping not very clear where you getting stuck at this point?

How are you trying to process/running the main service providing the IDOC ZELVRY03 and able to see it correctly in the pipeline as IdocFile IDATA object (document reference) as defined in your main service I/p??

HTH,
RMG

I have also EDI mapping question Flat to Flat. I am not able to figure out how to map one record into multiple record.
Please see the link below for mapping situation example