Natural error code 16: Unable to open buffer pool

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level are you on?

Windows Natural ver 6.3

Is your question related to the free trial, or to a production (customer) instance?

production

What are you trying to achieve? Please describe it in detail.

Investigated and checked found taht Natural program run but unable to log-out from the buffer pool.
Many same user-id existed in the user buffer pool until access the limit defined.
Please advise on how to exist from the buffer pool when the program run completed ?

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

Error 16: Unable to open buffer
" too many users logged onto the buffer pool"

Have you installed all the latest fixes for the products and systems you are using?

If your users are able to open multiple Natural sessions, that may be why you are seeing the same user id multiple times - perhaps you just need a higher maxusers setting.
I suggest that you open a support request with Software AG. Users logging off of Natural should normally be logged out of the buffer pool also. An upgrade to a current, supported version of Natural might also help.

Hi Kelly,
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I have trying to use “Backout transaction” and “terminate” command to exit from buffer pool, but look like is not working.
Is there any Natural command that able to log-out from buffer pool ?
How to clear or logging off the user from the buffer pool ?

“Backout transaction” is an Adabas command, nothing to do with the Natural buffer pool.

How high is your maxuser setting? have you tried increasing this value? As far as I know, you can only purge objects in the buffer pool, not users.

A support request to Software AG is probably your best bet.

You can clear all users by bouncing the Buffer Pool. I’m running Natural 9.2.1, but the instructions should be the same.

. Open Natural Buffer Pool (i.e. natbpmong.exe).
. NBP Menu bar → Bufferpool → Shutdown Server
. START context menu → Computer Management → Services and Applications → Services
. . restart SAG Buffer Pool Service via context menu or menu bar Actions
. NBP Menu bar → Bufferpool → Connect

Hi Kelly,
My MAXUSER is 60 users.
I think the scheduled program was not terminate completely causing the same user-id occupied almost 1/3 of the total defined users.

Hi Ralph.
Thank you for your reply.
I think the instructions will shutdown the bufferPool completely. All the users will be affected?
But i need to clear one particular user only (that one created many repeated same user in the Buffer pool).

Are you able to see that user’s instance(s) of NATURAL.EXE in Process Explorer (free from Microsoft)? Process Explorer can kill those instances.

1 Like

Hi Ralph,
Look like it is working. Thank you very much.
The repeated same user had been killed from the buffer pool, but the index number is not refresh.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.