NAT3176 Error in call to Adabas subroutine or in inverted list

I am having trouble figuring out how to fix this error in Natural Adabas. I am just starting out with Natural on a very old version and the problem I keep running into trying to run most of the existing programs written by previous developers is that I keep getting this error.

NAT3176 Error in call to Adabas subroutine or in inverted list.

So I have attempted a very basic program of my own with the same result (see below). Does anybody know how to resolve this problem or what steps can be taken to debug?

My first thought is that the STUD list does not exist even though there is a DDM for it. Is there a way I could verify that it exists?

My test program is as follows:

0010 DEFINE DATA
0020 LOCAL
0030  1 STUD-VIEW VIEW OF STUD
0040    2 STUDNO
0050 END-DEFINE
0060 READ STUD-VIEW BY STUDNO
0070 DISPLAY STUDNO
0080 END-READ
0090 END

Response Code 176 is an inverted list error. Try to read the file without using the inverted list by replacing the READ statement with

READ STUD-VIEW PHYSICAL

As Ralph indicates, the response code 176 is an Adabas error indicating that the inverted list for this descriptor is corrupted.

Your Adabas DBA needs to investigate this error. ADAVFY can confirm if there is a problem with the index, and if so, run an ADAINV REINVERT function. Otherwise, a support request (empower.softwareag.com) should be opened to resolve the error.