License for 1 CPU of IS 61

Currently we have a license for 1 CPU of Integration Server 6.1, which is running in our Production environment. I would like to know how webMethods defines the license per CPU of IS. Is the license for 1 CPU related to the physical CPU on the machine? Does it mean that if we install the 1 CPU IS license on a server, which has 2 physical CPUs, will the Integration Server utilize both the physical CPUs or will the IS use only one. Would appreciate if you can please elaborate on the significance of having license for 1 or multiple CPU of IS.

Thanks

Abhijeet,
The license is per physical CPU. If your server has two cpu’s then you need a two cpu license. Dual cores and multicores are included in this as well. A single dual core processor would require a two cpu license. Hope that helps, your sales rep can give you more details.

markg
http://darth.homelinux.net

There is nothing in the IS code that binds it only to a single CPU. However, if your IS instance uses more CPU’s than you are licensed for you would be in violation of your licensing agreement and potentially subject to lots of bad sanctions.

Don’t violate your license agreements. If you want free software with no support check out the open source ESB projects like Service-Mix or Synapse.

Mark

Thanks guys. That was quite helpful.

Regards
Abhijeet

Actually, I’ve been hearing good things about the support from LogicBlaze. It’s the JBoss model. I’m seeing more and more JBoss in serious supported production use these days. Aren’t you?

webMethods has lots of smart people that I’m sure have noticed the cheese is getting moved. It’s time for them to gather the courage to adjust the business model. (Not just licensing)

Mark,
I think you are hitting the nail on the head. The cheese is definitely moving. And webMethods has a lot of smart people and very good software. The ability to adapt to the new world is going to be key. It’s ironic that the very model of application development and architecture that has become the latest rage (SOA) also makes it very easy (in theory) to swap out and not depend on any one vendor. It seems to me that webMethods sees this. It appears that their primary focus is shifting away from their traditional core integration products and moving more towards ServiceNet. The ability to manage the services in this new SOA world is going to be key and they seem to be aligning around that.

As far as their licensing model goes… I think that will eventually have to change as will everyone else. That train is moving along pretty fast and I don’t believe it will stop. webMethod’s has a good strong customer base but they still have to grow. They will face increased competition from software that in a lot of cases is not as good but more attractive from a cost perspective to companies that are struggling with the bottom line. Of course this is my industry expert crystal ball opinion.

markg
http://darth.homelinux.net

Well said. I think your crystal ball is working fine. :sunglasses: