How to kill a flow service

Can somebody tell me how to kill a running flow service?
Thanks,

Hi, ashis.

I am guessing that you are running a trace or something similar in Developer, got caught in a LOOP or some other type of logic, and have now lost control of your GUI.

Good thing Developer forces a “Save” of all modified Flows before starting a trace.

Shut down Developer to kill the thread – the F9 keystroke is being blocked because the GUI is givign priority to the hanging Flow step.

When you log back on, check your logic for any obvious issues. When testing next time, try to execute your Flow from a separately-running instance of a Web browser. That should help you get around this problem.

I heard “kill -3” or something like that for thread dump. Anybody knows more on this

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your response.

The service is still running even after killing the developer thread.

Hi, ashis.

What sort of service are you attempting to execute? As much information as you can provide will be helpful.

Thanks.

I am facing a kind of similar situation. Is there any way u can just kill a particular Flow Service Request (as part of admin), instead of restarting the entire server.

Basically I am calling a Java API from my Flow Service, which creates Threads to get the work done. So sometimes this call gets blocked and I just need a way to kill it externally.

Thx
Ritesh

> I heard “kill -3” or something like that for thread dump.
> Anybody knows more on this

Yup, below is an in-house tutorial I wrote about generating thread dumps. We run IS on Linux. If I remember correctly, Java threading on Linux (when the JRE is run with --classic flag) maps threads to processes. Its possible to use this as a very blunt tool to kill Flows. However, using this generally brought down the server itself – so its basically a forensics tool to debug what the Java process got deadlocked in.

First, let the java application (eg: WM B2B server) run into the problem you need to diagnose. After sometime, do a ‘ps wax’ and eyeball the TIME column. The Java threads (which usually map to Linux processes) causing the problem will have an abnormally high TIME entries. Record the process_id(s) of these processes.

Then for each of these troublemaking PIDs, do

sudo kill –s QUIT

i.e. You send a QUIT signal to the process as root. This generates a thread dump file (in the case of the B2B server+IBM Java 1.3 VM, file of the type “javacore28976.1025667916.txt” are put in the B2B server directory).

Sonam Chauhan