How to create multiple realm instances - Please help

Team need a quick help.

How to create a multiple realm instances from the same port that was initially created?

1. As we know, once we install UM, it will bind to 9000
  2. We start UM server
  3. We open enterprise manager and hence we see umserver instance been connected.

Question: If i have to get connected to other instances like umserver2, umserver3 how do i do that?

Q1. Do i need to create a new port apart from 9000? If so, how?
Q2. Can i use with the same 9000? if so how?

Please help!

If you need to create additional instances, this can be
done using the ninstancemanager command line tool, which can be found under
<Software_AG_directory> /UniversalMessaging/tools/InstanceManager/.

Refer 9-8_Universal_Messaging_Installation_Guide

Get back to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Mahesh sir,

First note, you are rocking the tech forum site :slight_smile: cheers!!! htaz off to you.

Coming to Question, well i did try that executing the command

ninstancemanager create <HR/ALL> … etc

With that an instance will be created for any port we mention. But the problem is, all the folders are not created like
DATA and other, becuase of which it is failing.

Error message please?

Hi Manju,

Could you please share error logs. However as for my understanding after creating new instances like umserver1 and umserver2…etc. Data directory is available in Software_AG_directory\UniversalMessaging\server\umserver2.
After that configure JNDI like connection factory, queue and topic if you would like to perform any respective activity.
You can see the directory like naming, queue or topic in Enterprise manager.
I did use wM 98 version.
Kindly update if my understanding is not appropriate.

Thanks,
Arun

Hi Arun/Mahesh,

I’m able to create new instance if I give ALL instead of RS in the below command.
ninstancemanager create umserver9001 RS 10.60.128.162 9001

I’m getting the below error when trying to create with RS instance. I tried with both localhost and port number and also I have updated nServer.jar file path in nenterprisemgr.cnf file. Can you please have a look and let me know how to proceed.

C:\SoftwareAG95\nirvana\java\umserver9000\bin>ninstancemanager create umserver9001 RS 10.60.128.162 9001
→ Wrapper Started as Console
Java Service Wrapper Standard Edition 64-bit 3.5.20
Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Tanuki Software, Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com
Licensed to Software AG for ninstancemanager

Launching a JVM…
WrapperManager: Initializing…
Created RS instance umserver9001
com.softwareag.install.tools.ToolException: Wrapper executable is not found.
at com.softwareag.num.install.NUMInstanceManager.createInstanceManager(N
UMInstanceManager.java:2231)
at com.softwareag.num.install.NUMInstanceManager.processInstanceCreate(N
UMInstanceManager.java:372)
at com.softwareag.num.install.NUMInstanceManager.main(NUMInstanceManager
.java:194)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at com.pcbsys.foundation.utils.fInstanceManager.main(fInstanceManager.ja
va:19)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
at org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp.run(WrapperSimpleApp.java
:290)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)
← Wrapper Stopped

Hi,

first of all, you should run the ninstancemanager tool from the realm server command prompt, which you can find on the Windows start menu under Software AG > Tools > Universal Messaging. It ensure the correct environment and classpath settings.
Secondly, I recommend that you enter 0.0.0.0 for the IP address, to ensure that the new instance will be accessible on all IP addresses the machine may have, including localhost.

Hi Jonathan,

I tried with both localhost and 0.0.0.0 in realm server console as you said but still getting the same kind of wrapper error. Please have a look and let me know if i’m wrong in doing at any step.

C:\SoftwareAG95\nirvana\server\umserver9000\bin>ninstancemanager create umserver9002 RS 0.0.0.0 9002

Launching a JVM…
Created RS instance umserver9002
← Wrapper Stopped

C:\SoftwareAG95\nirvana\server\umserver9000\bin>ninstancemanager create umserver9003 RS localhost 9003

Launching a JVM…
Created RS instance umserver9003
at com.softwareag.num.install.NUMInstanceManager.processInstanceCreate(N
← Wrapper Stopped

Hi, it s working fine for me in my installation (UM 9.9). Which UM version are you using?
You might need to CD to the tools/instancemanager directory before running the command. Can you try that?

I’m using v9.5, eventhough i’m getting error, Realm instances are created and able to connect from UM but not sure why it is throwing that error at the time of creation. I tried by changing the path to instancemanager too.

Hi Team,
I have a question. I am using UM-9.9. And i have two running instances which are running on different servers with different port numbers but instance names are same ‘UMserver’. can u guys please let me know , how can i connect to two instances from Enterprise manager. After adding one, i am trying to add another UM from RealM–>connect to realM server, then second one replacing first once. may i know , how can i conncet to both server once.

Note: both servers have same instance name ‘umserver’ but server are in different hosts and ports also different,

The behavior you see its normal, as a best practice create UM instance names uniquely (eg. UM_DEV, UM_TEST_A, UM_PROD_A), can you try launching your UM Enterprise Manager two times (separately) and try access the UM instance.

thank you for quick reply.

As per UM doc, i am able we can connect multiple UM’s from Enterprise manager.
And one more question from your replay, If we can’t connect multiple from single EM then how can we form cluster or zones.

And one question here , do we have chance to change instance name from ‘UMServer’ to other name?

Yes I would suggest try that too and make the instance name unique as Holger mentioned.

HTH,
RMG

@Naresh,

I am not sure if you can update the UMServer instance name, but I assume you have to re-do your installation with a unique name as per your environment. If you are planning to use UM cluster in Test and Prod make sure you append the nodes to your instance name for eg. um_test_node_a or um_test_node_1 to distinguish.

You can find more information on “9-12_Universal_Messaging_Installation_Guide.pdf”

RMG,

It’s me you mentioned about unique um server instance name :slight_smile:

unable to create new um instance.
I have provided the following command in the command prompt.
ninstancemanager create umserver2 all 0.0.0.0 9001
when i run this command in cmd , cmd is closing automatically.It is not giving any error either.am i missing any other things.default instance umserver on 9000 is up and running but the other instance is not getting created.
Could you help me in solving the issue.

Can you check “instanceLog.txt” from \UniversalMessaging\tools\InstanceManager

Any errors reported?

Nope . no errors where reported. I don’t see any APP_ERROR tag as well in the log . I have run the command again and checked the log no errors reported

UM version?

Can you try a query and see if that errors out?