Help Understanding Tamino's Purpose

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about the whole XML database paradigm. From what I gather RDBMS and Native XML databases are both strong in different areas.

Tamino appears to have a whole bunch of bells and whistles that I have not found yet. Does Tamino market itself as a turnkey database solution or does it beilieve there is still room for the RDBMS. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Thanks

Well, since Tamino is ultimately just a bunch of bits, I don?t imagine that it believes much of anything. :wink:

Seriously, though, I don?t think anyone expects Tamino (or XML databases in general) to eliminate the need for RDBMS?s. And I?m sure Software AG will still be happy to sell you a license for ADABAS, if that?s what you decide you need.

Tamino works best where you are processing information that is already in XML format. This typically means either information that is being shared between disparate systems, where XML serves as a neutral format, or (the real strength of XML) information that includes semi-structured data.

Curtis,
Thanks for the straightforward answer. I?ve been impressed by what XML brings to the table and see the gaps that it fills but I knew that it didn?t have all the answers. Here is a three year old article that helps to discuss when an XML database is useful and when you should go with RDBMS.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/10/24/follow-yr-nose.html?page=1

Mike Champion of SoftwareAG is quoted pretty extensively in it.

Thanks again for the info.