Tamino Features

Hello!

This might be a very silly question but I was wondering about some features of an XML database such as Tamino.

For example, in a relational database, we have tables and can view the data in those tables. My question is how would you view that data in Tamino? I mean if I load an xml file in tamino, it should be stored there, right? And then I should be able to view the data of that xml file, right? If yes, then how? Or I can verify that only by querying the database?

Could someone please help me out with this one?

Thank you very much in advance!

Syed

You have to query the databse to view data, there are many tools that you can use XSL, Taglibbs to view data, when you use Tamino don’t think RDBMS, I think that will give you some insight

I am not sure if you mean

How do you get the data out to view it? or how can you easily view it?

I you just mean see it in a convenient and organised way you should either, on your webserver, install the IE5 based dashboard utility which you can down load from one of the submissions on the JavaScript discussion group , or the Tamino Client Browser which you can down load from the Java API discussion group. This you must install on your client. Or you can wait for the next Tamino release when a fully-featured Tamino Explorer will be available.

If your question was programmatical in nature - read the following.

There are two ways to retreive XML Data from Tamino.

1) using a query - then you get XML elements as a result.
2) or by reference using a URL - then you get an XML Document.
Tamino URLs are like this

http://localhost/tamino/mydb/mycollection/mydoctype/@ino:id

where ino:id is the ino:id which you can see them in query results or like this

http://localhost/tamino/mydb/mycollection/mydoctype/mydocument.xml where “mydocument.xml” is some some name you have assigned to this document

The name can be anything you like shouldn’t contain “#” or “?”

The Tamino Java, Jscript and Active X DOM APIs support these two techniques

You quite rightly said:
For example, in a relational database, we have tables and can view the data in those tables.

With Tamino, you could say something similar like:
For example, in an XML database, we have collections and doctypes and can view the data in those collections and doctypes.
(That may not be a 100% technically perfect description, but for this discussion,
it is close enough)

If you want to quickly look at the XML data that you have put into Tamino, in its original XML format, simply use the Tamino Interactive Interface. Where to find the Interactive Interface and how to use it is very well described in the documentation.

The Tamino Interactive Interface was designed for precisely this purpose, namely as a testing tool to communicate with Tamino without having to write a program or build a Stylesheet.

Check it out! It is really so very easy to use.
But be aware that you really only get raw XML as a response. To turn the XML into something useful, you will have you read the other answers to your post.

Dave