Help on Creating the Processing Rule for EDI in TN

Hi experts,

I’m new to webMethods, I had gone thru the EDIforTN User guide and installed the Templates, schema and Doc Type for X12 4010 850 standard. Now i want to create the processing rule for this EDI standard.

I had logged in TN console and in Document Types i had found that there are 3 document types are created such as X12 850, Envelope and Group. Now i dont understand which one to be used for creating the Rule.

Pls help in creating the Processing Rule. also do we need to difine the seprate External ID for EDI to the Partners.

Thanks in Advance

Uday

Please also expalin me how the process flows once the TN receives the document.

Where can i find the information on various segments of X12 4010 Record or any other EDI Schema Record

Uday,

The 3 document types was a little confusing to me when I first started also. If you define your processing rule at the transacton set level (your X12 850), it will be invoked for every transaction. If you define it at the Envelope or Group level, it will be invoked just once which is a little cleaner (and less costly especially if you’re using a VAN). We create our EDI rules for the X12 Group.

Chapter 4.3 of the EDIforTN manual explains how to create the external IDs for each of your partners. You must ensure that these IDs and qualifiers match the IDs and qualifiers in the ISA and GS segments of your EDI documents, otherwise Trading Networks will ignore the document.

When you create the processing rule, on the Criteria tab you need to specify the Sender, Receiver, and Document Type you want that rule to act on. Then on the Action tab you can specify how you want TN to handle the document. For example for inbound EDI documents, you would probably click the Execute a Service box and choose the flow service you created to translate the document. Or for outbound EDI documents you might click the Deliver Document By checkbox and specify how you want TN to send the document.

Regards,
Devan

Devan,

Thanks for the Information. I had created the rule as you specified. I had created to a service in Developer for calling the wm.tn.receive within it. I had generated the EDI sample document from WmEDISamples.Tutorial.XMLtoEDI:processXMLSource service and tested. I found the following

1. The document is identified and processed 4 times for every EDI document Type. i.e. Doc Types is identifed as once for Envelope, twice X12 4010 850, and once for Group. Since i had selected group in Selection criteria it showing user status as blank and for rest it showing as IGNORED.

2. The pipeline output supposed to be VALUES, editn_env, editn_grp and editn_xtn along with other 3 variables, but i’m getting only editn_env in the output pipeline along with BizDoc, Sender and Reciever.

Please help.

Uday,

1. It sounds like your processing rule is working. The reason why you have two X12 4010 850 documents is because there are probably two transaction sets in the envelope (ie if you had 20 TSets in the envelope you would see doc types for 1 Envelope, 1 Group, and 20 850s).

If you don’t have a processing rule specified for a specific document type, the user status will be IGNORED since TN does not know what to do with it. The X12 Group status is blank because you probably don’t have the Change User Status checkbox filled in on the Action tab of the processing rule.

1. If you are sending the EDI document from TN to IS, you need to ‘unwrap’ the bizdoc in IS. Try placing wm.b2b.editn:bizDocToRecord as the first service in your flow. The output of this service will be boundNode. From there you should be able to retrieve the necessary fields from the EDI structure.

Regards,
Devan

Devan,

Thanks for the help. It really helped me in understanding the concept .

Thanks once again.

Uday