FTP Time Out

Guys,
I am using the flow service(pub.client.ftp.login) to connect to unix box and ftp the files on to the webMethods box. I keep the session in the pipeline.

I process the files and move the files to the different location on the same server for archive. But, some times, depending on the size of the file, the processing takes long time. 

When I try to move the files using the session from the pipeline, I am getting the following error. "Not Logged In" 

I am not sure of the problem. I guess, it has to do some thing with the FTP session time out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
Brain.

Brain,

If the file size is huge then the FTP session timeout may occur due to connection lost,so try to ftp the files using stream and increase the timeout.

HTH,
RMG

Hi,
The file is appr 5MB. I think, this shouid not be a issue.

How do we increase the time out. Do we need to set watt.net.ftpDataConnTimeout parameter in extended properties.

Brain,

5MB is litt huge for IS FTP transfer,i have tried 25mb to transfer it processed fine even i got connection timeout and refused.So your file size should go thru.

As far i remember that is the setting to define.

HTH,
RMG

From my experience with the IS FTP, you might want to visit www.enterprisedt.com and check out their free edtFTP Java libs. These are very nice & flexible. Though you need to write some Java services around them, they exceed the built-in FTP in both functionality and stability.

Good luck, Chris

RMG,
Can you let me know what are the changes that you have made in the Server Config file for sending 25 meg file to the IS . I have a situation here where I am trying to send a 12 meg file and it is timing out on the webMethods Is.
Envi 6.1
watt.net.ftpConnTimeout=3600000
watt.net.ftpDataConnTimeout=1200000

Hello,
I am trying to Log into the FTP server and move the Files to the FTP server.While logging into the server I am getting “Could not connect to ftp server: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out”.Can it be due to the fact that the size of the file is very large??

what is the file size that you are trying to transfer?? generally connection timeout hapens when unable to connect remote ftp server or transferring an large >20 MB files…Is your target remote FTP server located outside the firewall or internal to your network??

Is your main FTP flow using these steps client.ftp:login(open sessionkey),cd,put,logout(close sessionkey) etc…or you invoking directly client:ftp service??

HTH,
RMG

Hi,
My FTP service is invoking ftp:login anf ftp:logout.These are the extended settings of my server

watt.EFLS.configfile=SLR_Config/SLR_EFLS/EFLS.cnf
watt.net.ftpConnTimeout=900000
watt.net.ftpDataConnTimeout=60000
watt.net.timeout=600
watt.server.auditDBSize=10
watt.server.auditLog=perSvc
watt.server.auditMaxPool=10
watt.server.auditMinPool=1
watt.server.auditRetryCount=3
watt.server.auditStore=database
watt.server.auditThreshold=200
watt.server.auditlog.error=true
watt.server.auditlog.session=false
watt.server.clientTimeout=3
watt.server.cluster.SessTimeout=30
[U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]watt.server.email.from=sgs-isc1@solectron.com[/color][/size][/font][/u]
[U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]watt.server.errorMail=sgs-isc1@solectron.com[/color][/size][/font][/u]
watt.server.smtpServer=10.134.8.219
watt.server.tx.cluster.lockTimeoutMillis=100
ISC2
watt.EFLS.configfile=SLR_Config/SLR_EFLS/EFLS.cnf
watt.net.ftpConnTimeout=900000
watt.net.ftpDataConnTimeout=60000
watt.net.timeout=600
watt.server.auditDBSize=10
watt.server.clientTimeout=3
watt.server.cluster.SessTimeout=30
[U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]watt.server.email.from=sgs-isc2@solectron.com[/color][/size][/font][/u]
[U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]watt.server.errorMail=sgs-isc2@solectron.com[/color][/size][/font][/u]
watt.server.smtpServer=10.134.8.219
watt.server.tx.cluster.lockTimeoutMillis=100

The timeout value setup for the particular interface where the error is occurring is 600 seconda.Please let me know if the extended settings are a factor in this

From the error, it doesn’t look like it has anything to do with file size. It looks like you simply can’t connect to the server. First things first: make sure you can reach the target server from that machine (ex. try to ping the target server.)

• Percio

Did you check connection or auth credentials connecting to that remote FTP server was successful??If the problem persists its better to followup with your ntwrk sysadmin who can assist you in better way…Also referring the error it may not be due to filzesize at this point.

HTH,
RMG…