EDI Newbie Getting Started

I think I’m relatively fluent in MS Access, SQL and data in general. I’m interested in learning EDI, specifically for Amazon.com. I’m totally lost in the EDI verbiage and syntax and need a kick in the right direction. I know what EDI is and does. We’ve been using 3rd party EDI providers for many years, but I want to handle Amazon.com on my own. We are a warehouse fulfillment supplier, not a drop shipping or FBA merchant. I communicate extensively with 3rd Party EDI providers with CSV files and some GUI. I landed here when Googlin’ for “learning EDI”.

So, moving along…

1. What is Software AG? Is this a software provider that has mapping software for EDI?

2. For those in a similar situation, what is the easiest and less expensive EDI mapping software?

3. As for the EDI process, I’m assuming I will be downloading an *.x12 file that is loaded into a mapping software that will in turn map the EDI fields to my database. Then, after whatever data manipulation I perform, my results are mapped back into an *.x12 file and uploaded to Amazon.com. Is this basically the process?

4. Is there a better forum or source to get started in EDI than here?

Thanks!

You should repost this in the webMethods EDI forum under the webMethods Integration category. They should be able to help you out over there.

There are several free/trial webMethods downloads, but I’m not sure which handles EDI. Documentation is available if you requested it on your membership request.

Hi Shank.

1. What is Software AG? Is this a software provider that has mapping software for EDI?
    → YES it is called webMethods EDI Module which comes as part of the eStandards stack

2. For those in a similar situation, what is the easiest and less expensive EDI mapping software?
    → YES There are few other industry leaders in EDI such as (IBM-SterlingCommerce EDI, Cleo EDI,DellBoomi EDI,GXS EDI) etc…But I would encourage you to explore more using SoftwareAG-EDI tool as the preferred tool

3. As for the EDI process, I’m assuming I will be downloading an *.x12 file that is loaded into a mapping software that will in turn map the EDI fields to my database. Then, after whatever data manipulation I perform, my results are mapped back into an *.x12 file and uploaded to Amazon.com. Is this basically the process?
    –>YES I would suggest create an AWS account and explore Amazon EDI capabilities/transformations.

4. Is there a better forum or source to get started in EDI than here?
    → YES There are many EDI vendor supported forums as mentioned above EDI translator software vendors and you may explore via googling.

Good luck on your EDI software exploration journey and checking in this SAG-EDI forum.

HTH,
RMG