Does webMethods 8.2.2 support Oracle 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

Hi

Can someone help me with this question please.

We are using webMethods 8.2.2 and we got new database Oracle 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production as part of application upgrade.

I read some articles that 8.2.2 doesn’t support Oracle 12. I just want to be make sure that 8.2.2 supports Oracle 12c so that we can have smooth upgrade. If it doesn’t support directly, is there any way to make it support by adding some files etc.

We have only JDBC Adapters (we are working with SQL’s, Stored Procedures, Triggers, Indexes).

Thanks,
Prasad.

Refer “System Requirements Guide” for your webMethods version. It has a matrix with all the supported DB platforms.

Thanks Mahesh for the response, In 8.2.2 system requirements I see only 11g column, there is no 12c mentioned.

Is there any way we can connect to 12c like any alternatives. The management is saying they need to move to 12c as part of application upgrade.

Please advise on this.

Thanks,
Prasad.

wM 8.2 products only support Oracle 11g R1 & R2. Oracle 12c is not supported for v8.2. It is supported from v9.5.

Explain this to your management and hopefully they should agree for wM upgrade.

Ok. Thanks for the advise.

But I have one doubt here. Yesterday as a test, I have created an JDBC adapter in 8.2.2 Integration Server to connect to 12c database, it successfully created and to test it more in the developer I have created an Select SQL Adapter service in developer and ran it. I got the output.

How is this happening? Does it work only for few adapter services or in the future does it stop functioning?

I’m thinking when 8.2.2 is introduced may be 12c is not released so in the system requirements they didn’t mention 12c.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. If 8.2.2 gives trouble in the future for 12c, then I will request management to go for upgrade.

This would be my last question. Please advise me.

Thanks,
Prasad.

Hi Prasad,

There will be compatibility issue going forward. You don’t to run on by hoping issue may not occur.
If you face an issue and requires SAG support, the first thing you will be asked is to update the backend.

Hi Bari Khan,

Thanks for the response. So are you advising me to continue with Oracle 11 instead of 12, as it may be create issues in the future.
And SAG support also advise me to do the same.

So if we need to work with 12c, the only option I have is to go for upgrade like from wM 8.2.2 to 9.12.

Thanks,
Prasad.

Hi Narasimha,

usually this should be working. But for the case that you run into issues be warned that you might not get supported until you have perfomed the upgrade.

Please make sure that you have applied the latest SCG_DataDirect_Fix to your components (IS, MWS, Optimize, …) which are using database access from within wM itself.

For JDBC Adapter make sure you are using a suitable ojdbc6.jar from Oracle (either latest 11g R2 driver or latest 12c R1 driver).
These are available from Oracle for free.
These drivers are minimizing the risks of incomaptibility.

Upgrade should be planned anyway as wM 8.2 is already out of support and you will require an Extended Maintenance agreement.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like