Developing an Application with Visual Basic .Net that Connects to a Database Using CONNX32 and ADOB.Connection

What product/components do you use and which version/fix level?

CONNX32
Connx32.dll, version 13.80.0.18270

Are you using a free trial or a product with a customer license?

Licensed

What are trying to achieve? Please describe in detail.

I am trying to connect to a database in Visual Basic .Net, but keep getting che error message “t’[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specifi”. The database was added using the CONNX Configuration Manager, and I can connect to it using the Dictionary Viewer Utility and the same credentials I am attempting to use in the VB application.

Here is the relevant code snippet:

myConn = New ADODB.Connection
    myConn.ConnectionString = "Driver={CONNX32}; Data Source=...; uid=...; pwd=..."

myConn.Open()

I am using Visual Studio 2022 targeting .Net Framework 4.8.

This is from the User guide that comes with the product, but it appears to be outdated. I cannot find the driver mentioned in the location specified.

Do you get any error messages? Please provide a full error message screenshot and log file.

“[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified”

Screen capture of error message:

You will need to define an ODBC (32bit) data source for it pointing to the CDD.

What did you “add using the CONNX Configuration manager” ?

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the response. You said, “You will need to define an ODBC (32bit) data source for it pointing to the CDD.” The connection string references an existing data source. Do you mean something other than that? If so, would you provide an example?

My terminology might not be correct, but it looks like the CONNX Configuration Manager was used to add the information for the database to the computer’s registry. However, based on the excerpt from the user guide, it looks like I need to add a reference to the CONNX.Provider.dll, or equivalent, to my VB project. I have not found that dll on my computer.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.