Dev Suite 9.6 Update Manager Create Script Silent Install

Hello, I am trying to create a silent install script for the Update Manager to apply a patch from image (zip).
I’ve tried this several times and although the installation/upgrade completes, the answer file is never generated.
Does anyone know how to achieve this?
Or is there a template answer file available?
Thanks

Hi Isaac,

which (exact) version of UpdateManager are you running?

If UpdateManager (at least 8.2.1) is run for the first time and it performs its self upgrade, the information about the silent install file is lost.

Solution:
If running UpdateManager for the first time, let it perform the the its self upgrade and exit it afterwards.
Re-Start the UpdateManager and provide the details for the fixes to be applied as well as the details for the install script. After UpdateManager has completed there should be a install script file which can be used for subsequent installations.

To do so, UpdateManager needs to be start with the command line option “-readScript ”.
Unfortunately these command line options are not fully documented in UpdateManager Users Guide.

Regards,
Holger

hi Holger, I see this in Using the SAG Update Manager:

Install or Uninstall Fixes Using a Script

1. If you created the script while installing from an image, make sure the image is still
    available under the same name and in the same location.

2. Go to the directory that contains the Update Manager and run this command:
    UpdateManagerGUI.{bat|sh} -readScript full_path_to_script
    -installDir full_path_to_installation_directory

Note: You can override other parameters that are specified in the script file by
typing the option -parameter value on the command. For example, if you
are installing Integration Serverfixes and you want to override the user
name, you would specify -isUsername value . If you want to override a
password parameter, type the value in clear text, not encrypted.

1. If you installed fixes, restart the products on which you installed the fixes.

Can you tell me what other command line options you are looking for in doc that you are not finding?

thanks

Marianne

Hi Marianne,

thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the UpdateManagerCMD.sh (8.2.1) does not show an option for installing from script, only for installing from empower or from image. When using a script this has to be provided via command line option.

The Users Guide does not provide information for -overInstall and -showAllFixes, which I only became aware of during the investigation of some support incidents for the UpdateManager not updating iteself or not showing the expected fixes for installation even if choosing the right image.

We are currently running on wM 9.5, hence the version of UpdateManager is 8.2.1 (with Fixes).
As we are running on Solaris, the Fixes will be downloaded to an image file on windows and the image is then transferred to the solaris box without graphical support (therefore the UpdateManagerCMD.sh).

Regards,
Holger

hi again Holger:

• I do see -overInstall option in the Using the SAG Update Manager guide - it’s at the end of the fix chapter. If you do a search in the pdf you will find it.

• I’m told -showAll is an internal option. With this option, Update Manager shows older fixes in the tree along with latest fixes, but it is best practice for customers to install latest fixes only. So we don’t document -showAll for this reason - it isn’t something we endorse for customers.

• For your comment below, I do see the option for installing from script that in the guide as well. But are you saying it is not in the help for the command, or can you tell me where you were looking for an explanation and could not find it? I can get it added wherever it’s missing.

“Unfortunately the UpdateManagerCMD.sh (8.2.1) does not show an option for installing from script, only for installing from empower or from image. When using a script this has to be provided via command line option.”

thanks

Marianne

Hi Holger/Marianne,

Thanks for your responses, and apologies for such a late response.

Holger - I am using version 8.2.1.
My experience using the GUI was this:

1. Set Image path (for update.zip) - see attached
  2. Set Script path (to generate script) - see attached
  3. Select all fixes. At this point, just before the installation, I get warnings that I need to perform pre-installation steps for fixes x, y and z. When I try to click on the fix and click the Readme button, I just get a message saying no readme available for this fix.
  4. At the end of the GUI update installation, Update Manager informs me that x, y and z fixes could not be fully applied due to a, b and c reason. But otherwise it is a successful update.
  5. Once the wizard is closed, the script is not generated.

The way I got round this was to use the UpdateManagerCMD.bat (C:\SoftwareAG\UpdateManager\bin)

Using that, you can answer the same fields as with the GUI, including path to script file, but this time it will actually generate a file at the end of the installation.

After that you can use -readScript with the same batch file to run a silent installation.

I know other people will likely have a different experience. I found that the install (osgi?) process normally struggles to restart the MWS service right at the end of the installation - and this can leave the install hanging indefinitely. But at least the installation appears to be complete by that stage, and the service can be restarted manually.

You can see the point in the update log where the time gap occurs (highlighted, attached). The log resumes after a manual restart of the MWS service.

Isaac
UpdateManager.PNG

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

@Isaac:
Can you share the complete version of your update manager (from About Dialog)?
There have been certain Fixes for UpdateManager itself causing the Auto-Update feature to break.

Additionally there have been issues where applying Fixes to MWS took too long when preparing them for usage.
This was some sort of an timeout issue between UpdateManager and MWS:

1. After UpdateManager has extracted the Fixes for MWS/OSGI, the MWS is started once to update the portlets.
  2. After this is finished the MWS shuts down and the UpdateManager completes.
  3. After exiting the UpdateManager, the MWS can be started again.

In the cases, where the UpdateManager fails during this, the MWS has been shut down, but the UpdateManager did not pick up this event, timing out during this.

Affected versions of UpdateManager 8.2.1 were Fixes 40 thru 50. If you was able to update the UpdateManager beyond this point the described issues (except for the time gap, this is technical related) should not occur any more.

@Marianne:
In the UpdateManager Users Guide provided as part of the wM 9.5 documentation package (2013Mar_Using_SAG_Update_Manager.pdf) the “-overInstall” cannot be found.

For the “-readScript”-Option I think was expecting an option in the somewhere in the menu, which does not exist.

For the “-showAll”-Option I have a real business case:
As we are using the same image file to update multiple installations (1 Broker, 5 IntegrationServer, 2 MWS, 5 Optimize) on 4-5 different environments (DEV, internal Test, QA, Production), there might be several Fixes for different components in this image, but not all of the latest Fixes are already agreed to be applied to QA or Production, but one of the previous versions.

Regards,
Holger

Isaac, can you contact Software AG Customer Support about your issues? It might be a bug, and that will be the proper channel through which to get it fixed.

Holger:

• Please download the latest SUM guide, it covers -overInstall. When you upgrade SUM, it’s best to always get the latest guide. The guide is updated fairly regularly.
  • If you’re saying you expected to see -readScript somewhere on the GUI, that wouldn’t make sense, because it’s a command line option. I think I still don’t know what you mean by “menu” - can you clarify?
  • I’ll present your use case for -showAll to the developer and see what he thinks about exposing this option in doc.

Marianne

Hi Marianne,

I was referring to the command line version of the UpdateManager.

I was thinking in a wrong direction.

Thanks for checking the use case.

Regards,
Holger