Designer 8.2.1 truncating input strings to 64kB when debugging flow services

Hello All,

It appears that Designer 8.2.1, while debugging flow services, truncates strings entered on input to 64kB - could someone please verify this? (I have tried changing the ‘Max Length…’ option available during debug in the ‘Variables’ pane, but expectedly this only affects the display of the variable…)

This behaviour does NOT occur in Developer 8.2…

Thanks in advance.

Pedro Duarte

Pedro,

I just tried this on my machine and I did not experience the issue. I created a simple Flow service that took a string as input and called pub.string:length. I then stepped through the service, entered a 128K character string as my input, and pub.string:length returned the expected output.

Can you try this simple test on your machine and let me know what you get?

Thanks,
Percio

Desginer working good for me

Thank you very much for answering!

Percio, I just tried out your test, and Designer still truncates the string to 65534 bytes…

Maybe this is related to the Designer version? Here are a few versions that seemed relevant from Help -> About Software AG Designer:

Software AG Web Services Stack
Version: 8.2.2.0000-0234
Build id: 234

Software AG Common Components and Branding
Version: 8.2.3.0000-0002
Build id: 201202180310

webMethods Service Development
Version: 8.2.3.0001-0234

Eclipse Platform
Version: 3.6.2.r362_v20110210-9gF78Gs1FrIGnHDHWkEcopoN8AmxeZflGDGKQi
Build id: M20110210-1200

Thanks.

Best regards,
Pedro Duarte

Pedro,

What operating system are you running on?

By the way, can you provide a little more detail around your use case? Having to pass such a long string as input to a service is very unusual so perhaps we can help you come up with a better solution.

Thanks,
Percio

Percio,

We’re running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. And yes, this is a somewhat unusual scenario that currently is not hindering our development in any way, it’s just something I’ve come across and thought it would be useful to report, but for us there really is no need for further resolution.

Thank you very much for your help,
Pedro

Pedro,

I got in touch with our R&D team and they tested your scenario on a Linux environment (SUSE), and indeed, the issue did surface there. It appears to be something specific with that OS. When you get a chance, please log an issue on Empower and send me the issue number.

Having said this, I just wanted to give you a heads up that Ubuntu is not on our list of supported Linux environments for Designer. If possible, I recommend moving to one of the supported operating systems (http://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/webmethods/wmsuites/wmsuite8-2_sp2/SysReqs_Installation_and_Upgrade/8-2_System_Requirements.pdf) so you don’t run into any new surprises.

Um abraço,
Percio

1 Like

Thank you very much, Percio!

Um abraço,
Pedro Duarte