Add some interactivity to EntireX Mediator Sequence

hi!

i want to port parts of an existing application to use entirex mediator.
the benefit i expect is, that the workflow is more flexible.

the current workflow is, that 8 steps are executet one after another.
between these steps there is an interaction with a user.

my design consideration is, to create one sequence, that calls the existing 8 steps, that are java classes via the java gateway.

but what to do, when f.e. in step 2 a dialog is displayed, that needs user input?
after this input, the sequence should proceed.
how can i tell a sequence to wait for user input?

more generally spoken: is it a good idea to have this user interaction in my sequence or is mediator better used in scearios, where a sequence can be executed without user interaction?

the examples provided with mediator include no scenario, where user interaciton happens while a sequence is running.

thx
-hannes

Hi Hannes,

Unfortunately, the concept you describe may not be possible with the current Mediator version. I say may not be because it is dependant on how you program your components and when you call them. The most common use cases for Mediator do not include user interaction.
If you decide to attempt this, you should avoid calling components that require an excessive amount of time inside of a Replication because there is an inherent timeout of 60s built in. This can be overridden by setting a longer timeout but cannot be turned off. Other than in the Replication there are no timeouts set in Mediator.
If you program the Java Object Gateway classes to initiate a remote program (RMI) and wait for the answer you will have accomplished what you want. It will wait until it receives the answer. If you have no control over the classes then you will have to implement this differently.
Some customers have done this using HTML Emails with scripts imbedded. This requires you to define multiple sequences to complete the process.

Regards, :cool:

- Matthew G.

hi matthew,

thx for your help.
at the moment i’m implementing some prototypes to evaluate scenarios for mediator usage. i am also planing to use mediator in a scenario like the one you discribed:
a program executes a mediator sequence, that sends an email.
when the user klicks on the link in the email, program execution is continued.

the benefit of using mediator sould be, that i can easily change the sequence that sends the email.

meanwhile i also think, mediator better fits in scenarios within a response - request model, but i was not sure about this, so i’m interested in the opinions of other mediator users.

the con of my solution above is, that i have 2 workflows:
- one in a main-program, that executes mediator sequences and triggers other actions, when f.e. a user klicks the email link a.s.o.
- another workflow inside entirex mediator

i would prefer having 1 workflow → in mediator.
but to do this, like you mentioned, i think some functionality is missing in mediator.

thx
-hannes

Hi Hannes,

The functionality of long running business processes with human interaction can be implimented much easier in the BPEL language. We are planning to expand the XSI product to include a BPEL engine and BPEL process editor this year.

Regards,
:slight_smile:

- Matthew G.

hi!

hey, thats exactly, what i need. :cool:
can you give me some concrete information what “this year” means?
b.t.w: it would be a great feature to include a debugger in the process/sequence editor.

thx
-hannes

Hi Hannes,

For your information, the current version v7.4.1 has a debugger in the Studio. You can set breakpoints and observe changes to the payload and properties with each breakpoint.
:cool:

I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is the correct forum to publish the information on planned releases. Plans have a tendency to change and I wouldn’t want to disappoint anyone. :frowning:

Regards,

- Matthew G.

hello,

the current version is 7.4.1 ?
i didn’t know this - currently i’m using version 7.3.1.
at the news site there is no comment, that 7.4.1 has been released.
(the last entry here is: 29. Mar. 04 EntireX Mediator 7.3.1 released.) :rolleyes:

o.k, seems like i have to get this version. :cool:

thx
-hannes

That might have to do with the platform you are on. I think we only released 7.4.1 in windows so far. Unix should be released in the next week or two.

Regards,

- Matthew G.

i am using mediator on the windows platform and i have already managed to get the latest version. hope to get it soon. :cool:

fg
-hannes