X-Application and non-XML

X-Application Version: 3.1.2, 3.1.1
Tamino Version : 3.1.1
Platform : NT, Win2k, Solaris, …
WebContainer : Tomcat 3.3
JDK Version : 1.3.1

Hello all,
I have been working on a little project and unfortunately run into a small problem. I would like to work with two document instances. The first instance will contain metatdata (in XML format) to be inserted into tamino the second instance will be for a non-XML document to be saved to Tamino. I cannot find any pointers in the documentation on how to handle the insert/delete of non-XML data in X-Applications. Can anybody give me some pointers/hints please.

Thanks in advance

Tavis Hamer

X-Application currently cannot handle non-XML content. What you have to do is to write some code outside the scope of X-Application to handle the non-XML part (i.e. in a servlet).
This code must handle the upload of non-xml and also handle any downloads.

Then you need to store the reference to the non-xml document in the xml document.

I know it is possible because a Software AG internal application here works that way. Unfortunatelly I don’t know more details currently, but I can find them out if necessary.

I hope this information helps…

christian campo

Thanks, I thought that may have been the case.

Tavis Hamer

what i have done is defined another schema for the images and defined them in tamino. Then I have simply written the URL for that image in a tag say:
http:/localhost/tamino/mycoll/myschema/mypic.jpg

Will X-application return an image when it encounters this tag?
If not… is there any other method i can use.
Please help. THanks
Sumier

Hello Sumier,

in principle, your idea should work. If you use the following JSP snipped

<bdm:display select=?../photo?>bdm:display

(Have look at ?Example Display Field Definition with Embedded Images or Anchors? of the X-Application documentation for the display tag.)

The resulting HTML code, would look like this:

Remark: At this place you are using absolute paths for your image URI. If you open the browser to access the JSP page on the same machine as Tamino sever runs, it should work. Browsers on other machines will not resolve the URL of the image. I propose to use the name of the machine where you installed Tamino instead of ?localhost?.

Bye,
Christian.