WM Manager Any Experiences

Hey chirag,

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. You know what you were right regarding disk space. When I got the oracle error and tried searching for details for that error code on google, i understood that i had to create tablespace with laster datafile size. I increased the tablespace datafile size and those oracle errors disappeared.

Regarding agents deployment, I went through documentation and did some R&D myself, used some trial & error type of stuff, and finally I succeeded to configure the agents and monitor IS and broker.

So my manager server & console setup has almost done. Even I have created some rules & alerts to monitor the status of the broker and IS and it works fine.

FYI, I deployed Integration Server and Enterprise agents and got the alerts working.

Thanks again for your effort.

Regards,
Nilesh

Hi Nilesh,

How large is your environment? It seems that you just got started with Monitoring?

Do you use territories and gateways? have you been able to monitor them?

Chirag,

We have 9 Integration server to be monitored. Among them there are two clusters of 4 IS in each cluster. One one independent IS. We have two brokers to be monitored. currently I have configured rules to monitor these IS servers and the only one broker. At this point of time, I also dont know where is the other broker running in the network. I also dont know whether the second broker will be used for failover or so. Once I will reach at that point in configuration, will let you know. How many resources do you manange or have you mananged using manager ?

Regards,
Nilesh

We are slightly more complex I guess:
37 Broker Servers
98 Brokers
approx 1400 Enterprise Adapters
1 IS 6.1
2 IS 4.6

We use 3 Satellites, 3 Manager Servers and 1 controller.

Hi,

It looks like its worth using manager in your case. Frankly speaking, I am fresher in manager stuff. What I was understood that you have to have controller installed where you have your manager server. In your case, you have 3 manager server and only one controller. So I can not understand how it works. If you have time, (I can understand, if you may not reply soon), please let me know how your manager server, controller and satellete communicates ?
One more thing, why OMI Agents are required ? (this question is not related at all with the first one …)

Regards,
Nilesh

Hi,

Here is a short discourse on the whole thing:

Manager Server:
Manager Server can handle 3500 Mbeans. It is first monitoring point, which connects to all the resources Brokers,IS etc. Exposes the data collected using OMI.

Trouble 1: If you have more then 3500 objects to be managed you need additional manager servers. We have more then 7000 objects. So we have three.

Satellite:
Runs the DCA to collect data. A satellite can have several DCA, but only one instance of each DCA. If you want to use Manager Server, you need OMI DCA to collect data.

Trouble 2: Now One OMI DCA can manage one Manager Server. We have three. So we need three instances of OMI DCA, so three satellites.

Controller:
data gets pushed to controller by Satellite, it stores it in a DB, fires the rules that you set, and all that. All satellites we use talk to one manager console, so that everything is one one screen.

Trouble 3: Total number of objects that can be managed are about 10500. So Three is a limit that we know.

With environment as large as we have, we already see lot of work at database end. To think about it, 288 readings (interval is 5 minute) per day, about 7000 objects per reading…

Hi,
I really appreciate for your explanation. It is really very helpful me, especially, for startup. So from your explanation, if you want to manage only IS and brokers, you need not require Manager server. Is is correct ? I meant to say that if I install controller on host A, and install satellites on host B,C, …etc wherever my ‘to be monitored objects’ like IS and broker are installed. And if we go with this configuration, I can manager IS & Broker without using (or installing) Manager server ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• nilesh

Well,

Let’s look at this way:

If you want to use OMI DCA, you need Manager Server.

If you do not want to use OMI DCA, you will require

• Enterprise DCA
  • Integration Server DCA

I have heard that you can load up packages of Manager Server on an existing Integration Server but never tried it myself. (Manager Server is also an IS as such), so that is something that you can try.

Chirag,

Thank you very much for clearing fundamentals on wM Manager.

Do you mean to say that If I dont use manager server at all and use only controller and satellite combination, I can manager IS & Brokers ?

• nilesh

You can:
Use Enterprise DCA and Integration DCA.

Just one word of caution: webMethods is pushing for OMI DCA in future. They may not update these two DCAs.

If you use Manager Server, you can manage Integration Server 6.1 Adapters (ART Connections as well). Something that you may not do very nicely with other DCAs.

Hey chirag,

I really appreciate your help. Still I need to know little more about manager.

If you allow me to call you up and we may discuss on the phone, i would be thankful to you. It may be during weekends or weekdays whatever will be appropriate to you.

My number is 201 566 0748. you can reach me anytime. or you give me your number and let me know the best time I can call you .

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,
Nilesh

Hello Chirag,

I have a basic architecture which consists of one instance of Manager Server + one Controller + one Satellite ; when I reach the limit of 3 500 Mbeans I wonder which is the best / simplest / efficient way to scale :

1. Adding one Manager Server + one Satellite (or more, of course, depending of the number of objects); it seems this was your choice
  2. Deploying Integration Server DCA and Enterprise DCA (it might be enough); I guess Manager Console can handle this.

Another question I have is :
Did you experienced any issue or difficulty having Manager Server and a controller on the same host ?

Regards
Karim

Hi Karim,

We have used Enterprise DCA with just one satellite to manage entire environment before. It works.

Entire monitoring setup that we use is on one host. What is the issue that you are facing?

Hi Chirag,

I’m afraid I missed something about your architecture… Here is my understanding, please let me know me if I am wrong :

First you had one Enterprise DCA associated with one Satellite; that was fine.
So when you scaled your architecture, you deployed OMI DCA and Manager Server; now you use 3 OMI DCA (so 3 Satellites) and 3 Manager Server.
Do I have to understand that all these Controller + Satellites + Manager Servers are installed on the same host ?

Regarding our architecture, I have to monitor (at first) three 4.6 IS. Each of them have about 3 500 Mbeans. I already have one MS, one Satellite and one Controller and I wonder if I should deploy

• two more MS plus two satellites
  • or two satellites with two Integration Servers DCA …

I do not know if the problems I am facing are a consequence of having all Manager components on the same host…
These are : desync between Manager Server and Console, ie : Manager Server says an IS is operational, but Manager Console fires the rule IS_Down (I have applied several patches on MS and MC, but still encountering this issue with a 4.6 IS)

Thank you anyway
Karim

Hi,

We moved to OMI because webMethods is going to stop supporting Enterprise DCA.

We run all on same host. The bad part of it could be, having risk of losing monitoring if that fails.

How do you see status of Integration Server on Manager? Do you see it using JMX/OMI HTML Adopter by opening debug port on Manager Server?

The IS we monitor are 4.6 and 4.0.2. We do not have all the latest patches, as patches are added only when we encounter a problem and a patch says that it may fix it. IS are with Manager Server Update.

On Manager Console, I have fix2c. No fix on Manager Server.

I would suggest that you add One IS at a time, if you are approaching 3500 Mbeans, and finding issues should start using second Manager Server and see if you have stability.

Hi,
I Installed Manager Server and Console on two different machine.Manager Server on Unix box and Console(controller and Satellite) on Linux box.I am able to configured the IS and Broker in Manager Server but i am not able to see those from my Manager Console.

Hi Vikrant,

Could you verify that you have mentioned your manager server host and port along with satellite in the following properties file :

<controller_home>/config/local/agent/webMethods/omiexplorer.properties

In addition, are you able to see the OMI agents are deployed properly when you go to Manager console –> Admin –> Satellite information.

HTH …

Regards,
Nilesh

Hi Nilesh,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have mentioned both in OMIExplorer.properties file.

And i am not able to see my OMI Agent (monitor and topology) under Satellite Information.For this i also copied the OMIAgent.properties in (controller/conf/local/agent/webMethods/omi) and Agentlist.properties in (controller/conf/local/controller) and i also uncomment the agents for IS and Broker.

Please suggest me if i need to do apart from this.

Hi Nilesh,
I am getting following error in Controller’s “nohup.out” file

com.dante.analysis.monitor.MonitorRuntimeException: net.sf.hibernate.JDBCException: Could not execute query
at com.dante.analysis.monitor.MonitorRepository.addMonitor(MonitorRepository.java:491)
at com.dante.analysis.monitor.storage.MonitorStorageHibernateImpl$MonitorLoader.run(MonitorStorageHibernateImpl.java:336)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:568)
Caused by: com.objectuniverse.storage.StorageException: net.sf.hibernate.JDBCException: Could not execute query
at com.dante.analysis.warehouse.storage.MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.getMonitorDimBean(MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.java:177)
at com.dante.analysis.warehouse.storage.MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.registerMonitor(MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.java:106)
at com.dante.analysis.monitor.MonitorRepository.addMonitor(MonitorRepository.java:488)
… 2 more
Caused by: net.sf.hibernate.JDBCException: Could not execute query
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.find(SessionImpl.java:1546)
at net.sf.hibernate.impl.QueryImpl.list(QueryImpl.java:39)
at com.dante.analysis.warehouse.storage.MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.getMonitorDimBean(MonitorDimStorageHibernateImpl.java:170)
… 4 more
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00904: “MONITORDIM0_”.“MONITOR_SCHEMA”: invalid identifier

at oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.throwSqlException(DatabaseError.java:125) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:305) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:272) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.receive(T4C8Oall.java:623) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.doOall8(T4CPreparedStatement.java:181) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.execute_for_describe(T4CPreparedStatement.java:420) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.execute_maybe_describe(OracleStatement.java:896) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CPreparedStatement.execute_maybe_describe(T4CPreparedStatement.java:452) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:986) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeInternal(OraclePreparedStatement.java:2888) 
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.executeQuery(OraclePreparedStatement.java:2929) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.BatcherImpl.getResultSet(BatcherImpl.java:87) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.loader.Loader.getResultSet(Loader.java:800) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:189) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:133) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:955) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:946) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.hql.QueryTranslator.list(QueryTranslator.java:834) 
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.find(SessionImpl.java:1543) 
    ... 6 more

Hi Vikrant,

Regarding your JDBC errors, it looks like something wrong with the database schema creation. When you setup the controller database (like tablespace & others …while you run the database scripts given with controller installation), was there any error while creating the DB Objects ?

Do you have the optimize (manager console) install and admin guide ?
Go to admin guide, there is a section called ‘configure OMI agents’. Please follow the steps to configure the OMI agents from th guide. You are not required to make any changes in OMIAgent.properties file. You have to modify the OMIExplorer.properties file to add your satellite and manager server information.

After modifing that file, you need to restart your satellite.

• nilesh