WM Manager Any Experiences

Greetngs,
I am starting to install Manager 503, and I was hoping to find someone that can tell me about their experience. What gotchas did you come across? What was the impact to your system?

Thanks,
Joe

I’m interested in experiences with wM Manager version 6.01 (server and console). Does it cover everything you need to manage and monitor the integration platform? Is it stable?

I fired it up and looked it over, but have not used it for hardcore monitoring.

It rides on top of the OMI (Open Management Interface) Specification that webMethods co-authored with HP.

I have worked with two companies who plan to use or are using outside Monitoring tools that directly integrate with webMethods: CA Unicenter and Tivoli through the OMI.

In these cases, the companies already used these products so it was a matter of configuration. No one else I know uses the manager as a serious tool.

Ray

Can some one explain the differences bitween OMI and JMX(Java Managenet Extention) ?

Pardha

Ray,

>No one else I know uses the manager as a serious tool.

Do you mean the Console/Console services? The OMI and Manager server look as a quite useful tool to build something for monitoring and maintaining the wM integration suite. Or are there better ways to do this? In a 7x24 situation you don’t want to browse through all the Administrator screens to see if anything goes wrong. You will need an alerting system.

We, blue elephant systems, have developed a product, the BES Tivoli Manager for webMethods (TM4WM), which provides an interface between Tivoli and webMethods. blue elephant systems is an official webMethods partner focusing on IT management. Currently our product is in beta. The plan is to ship a GR product in July. The functionality can be summarized as follows:

In general TM4WM utilizes the Open Management Interface (OMI) to integrate Tivoli and webMethods. The first version of the module has the following functionality:

1. Event integration: OMI notifications are available as IBM/Tivoli
    events. (TEC)
  2. Action integration: OMI operations can be executed from IBM/Tivoli as
    tasks. (TTL)
  3. Monitoring of webMethods components (e.g. adapters und queues): OMI
    object attributes can be monitored by and used with Tivoli monitoring
    products. (TDM & ITM aka TDM advanced edition).

The first release of the module interfaces with the following
IBM/Tivoli products:

• Tivoli Event Console (TEC),
  • Tivoli Framework / Tivoli Task Library (TTL),
  • Tivoli Distributed Monitoring (TDM).

The strength of the product is that we are not only provided the pure interface. We have worked with wM customers to develop instrumentation on top, which makes it easier to ensure the availability and quality of the webMethods integration backbone using a Tivoli management environment.

Please let me know if you are interested in our product or if you need any additional information.

Joachim Hoernle

blue elephant systems
Managing Director
phone +49 7181 488 438
mobil +49 170 3426975
mailto: jh@blue-elephant-systems.com

Joachim, thanks for the info. Our company has been looking at webMethods Manager. I have seen it demo-ed at Integration World last year, and I will likely get a close-up view of it this week (our local webMethods guy will come and show it).

One note to everyone: If you want to use a monitor console for webMethods that relies on OMI, you need to purhase the webMethods Manager product. You cannot just slap the console on top of your existing webMethods infrastructure.

Regards,

Wayne

Our product (BES TM4WM) is not a replacement of the webMethods Manager. It integrates the functionality provided by the webMethods Manager into a Tivoli management environment. In addition significant value is added on top, such as specialized instrumentation, self-management capabilities, filtering and so on.

JoacHim

Pardha,

Can some one explain the differences bitween OMI and JMX(Java Managenet Extention) ?

JMX is a standard way for instrumenting Java programs to allow them to be managed (i.e. low level). OMI is a way to allow a managed environment to be managed from a console (i.e. high level). In fact, the wM Manager is implemented using JMX.

JMX does not contain a model, only an interface, OMI contains both.

There is a need for both things.

You might want to look at the work being don in the OASIS - WSDM group - they are defining, effectively, “son of OMI”.

Geoff

Ray,

>No one else I know uses the manager as a serious tool.

I would have to disagree with you there. There are a number of webMethods customers who are seriously using the Manager product, as far as I am aware. Some do it in conjuction with an SMV, some using the Manager Console (or a combination of both).

Geoff,

I didn’t say it wasn’t a serious tool, but you mention a “number” of webMethods customers. I expect that it is a very small number.

Ray wrote: No one else I know uses the manager as a serious tool.
Geoff wrote: I would have to disagree with you there.

How can you disagree with “No one else I know…” ? :slight_smile:

(just kidding around)

Rob: Good point. I was relating that none of my recent clients have used it.

I am a webMethods evangelist. If I look at it long enough, it’ll probably grow on me.

Hi,

I have a small question regarding Manager and Manager Console. I have installed the manager and from the manager i am also able to search for various Integration Severs across the network and i am also able add them to the list of Integration Servers.

( i ) My problem is when i go into my Manager Console i am not able to view the added Integration Server under the Object panel and none of its dependencies like the Brokers, Adapters, Components/Services etc. Also another issue with the Manager Console is i am not able to get any of the attributes, in the Attribute Panel for any object(s) in the object panel not even the default ones like the name of Broker, etc.

( ii ) Another issue i have noticed is, under the manager’s web Client, under the Resources Menu, we have “Broker Servers” which opens up a frame to the right containing a link(2nd one from top) by name Brokers. This link doesnt show for me the various Brokers attached to the Integration Servers discovered. Practically its empty. Do i need to do some settings or did my installation of the Manager went wrong. I didnt find any help in the documents regarding the above 2 problems

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Hi Vijay,

(i) My experience with the manager console is that if you start it the first time, it takes a very long time to collect all data, so be patient. And sometimes I have to restart the console services and the console to get all the information

(ii)The Manager isn’t looking automatically for the brokers attached to the integration servers you’re managing. So even if you have added Integration servers to the resources, you have to add the broker servers too in the “Broker Server” page. Only after that you will see the brokers related to the broker server, when you click the link.

Hope this helps

Hi Vijay,

May be you haven’t run the script in
<installation>\ProgramFiles\webMethods6ManagerConsoleServices\doc\sql
(i.e. for Oracle or MS-SQL), in the database which you configured at the time of installation. Try this once.

regards,
raghu.

Hi Vijay Kumar,

Did the problem get solved for you. I tried the solutions given by others above for your Attribute problem and it did not work either.

Thanks
Prem

To go back to the original question:

Does anyone have experience with the Manager for version 6.0.1?

Regards,

PJW

Hi Folks,

My question is not only for webMethods console but it address data collection agents (DCA). From the documentation, i was able to understand that there are two parts for the manager console 615. (1) Agents & satellites (2) controllers. So agents are deployed on each resource machine and cotroller will be deployed on the host machine where the manager server is. So I have different agents deployed for different resources.

I need to configure some particular agents for particular resource (IS). Could anyone of you tell me how to configure agents. I meant to ask how to deploy and un-deploy the agents ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Nilesh

Hi Nilesh,

There is a file called as AgentList.properties that defines Agents enabled for your installation.

For each agent, there will be different property file.

To monitor Integration Server, you can use OMI Agent.

You should be using is:

1. Manager Console (Controller)
  2. Satellite
  3. Manager Server (OMI Server)

for Monitoring. Each Manager Server is capable of monitoring 3500 Objects according to webMethods.

How far have you reached in your setup now?