Why does no one write a book...?

Last year I had some excess energy so I started putting down some ideas about webMethods, directed at the experienced IT person who has limited knowledge of webMethods.

Humility prohibits me from making this material (47 pp) widely available, but I will throw it over the fence here at wmusers for what it is worth. It addresses the 5% tip of the iceburg re IS, Modeler, TN, Broker, Installation, and Flow language (at the Hello World level).

It does not address WF or Infravio, or anything else for that matter.

When you review it, please be gentle.

Hi All,

I have gone thru all your posts.

I have seen everyone supporting the need of a book for webMethods.

from my point of view,(its only my view)

I dont think there is a necessity of writing a book.
reasons:

1)No return on effort.
2)Like if you take for example Java,.net Oracle etc; there are certain syntaxes, procedures to be used to write a code but for flow services its is totally based on ur functionality. How you want to implement.
3)Advantage has got loads of info regarding what and when to use.
4)even though we start writing a book about it would not cover every topic and all types of implementation.
5)there are no books as per my knowledge about any development tool(It may be Dreamweaver, eclipse, websphere etc;) there are only implementation guides… that you already have … when you install webMethods…
6)The Book we write about a tool should contain lots of practice examples/implementations. but it will not be fruitful until you practice.
Until you dont practice using the tool. there is no point in reading the book.

there are lots more reasons
(some are covered in the earlier posts)
please comment/suggest on this reply if any
for me than a book the community adds much more sense… and we have one…

thanks ,

Gokul R

If books were only written for financial gain, most would not be written at all. If the only motivation of the wMUsers community was profit, then it would not exist.

There are many reasons for writing a book including establishing credentials, the desire to share expertise deveoped over the years and yes, the hope of some financial reward.

While the basic Flow statements are relatively simple, there are hundreds of built-in services each of which can be used in different ways. If knowing how to assemble the pieces to achieve a certain functionality was as easy as you imply there would not be 46,000+ posts in 11,000+ discussions here at wMUsers.

Advantage is only open to webMethods customers and partners. Many attempting to learn about wM products are neither.

Are you saying that a book must cover every aspect of a a product in order to be written? Most of the technology books on my shelf attempt to explore a specific slice of a product or language. A few annoint themselves as the “Product XYZ Bible” and are more comprehensive.

You’re not seriously saying that all those technology books on the shelves of your local Barnes and Noble (or on Amazon’s virtual shelves) are only implementation guides, are you? Again, if the WM docs were sufficient the there would be no need for competent consultants or for wMUsers.

I don’t think this is an argument against writing a book.

Mark

1 Like

yes ,he ask the samequestion what is in my mind.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.