What kind of java skills are required for developing solutions using webMethods Integration

Hi All
I am new to webMethods integration. My experience is mostly in Microsoft stack such .Net, C#, WCF and MS BizTalk server (Microsoft’s Integration suite/middleware).

I now want to develop my skills & expertise in webMethods. I don’t have Java background but I am open to learn it if it is required to develop solutions in webMethods integration.

I would like to ask community folks that is learning core java language enough? or do I need to develop expertise in any other specif java related frontend or backend technology or framework besides core java?

Are there any specific areas of Java that I should focus on?

Please advise/comment.

Hi Mubarik,

Java knowledge is not a prerequisite to develop with webMethods.
As a first hint you should get yourself familiar with Designer (there is a “Working with Designer” Guide in the documentation section).
Second you should check out the IS Built-In-Services reference to see which services are already available by default.

Preferred language when developing webMethods services is Flow language.
For the case you encounter a solution step which cannot be done in Flow, basic Java knowledge should be sufficient when it is not very sophisticated task.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hi @Mubarik ,
To add to Holger’s comment, there are many resources to learn Flow language. Some resources below :
Learning portal - The New Learning Portal is live
Basic flow tutorial - webMethods Flow Tutorial - No.1 Create an IS Package and Folders - Knowledge base - Software AG Tech Community & Forums
Articles on the knowledge base - Latest webMethods topics in Knowledge base - Software AG Tech Community & Forums

Happy learning
-NP

Hello @Mubarik,

Feel free to email us at Learning.Portal@softwareag.com. We will gladly share our self-paced webMethods course recommendations available at the Learning Portal (Software AG Learning Portal).

Just a word of advise - Its important to not to compare Apple to Apple when you are picking up.

Some amount of unlearn and re-learn required

Thanks Maria
I’ll be glad to email at Learning.Portal@softwareag.com and get access to self-paced webMethods course recommendations. Thanks for your suggestion & response on this topic.

My thanks to other community folks as well for their valuable suggestions/inputs on this topic.

To develop solutions using webMethods Integration, a developer should have a strong foundation in Java programming. Specifically, they should have knowledge of core Java concepts such as object-oriented programming, exception handling, and data structures. Additionally, they should be familiar with Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) technologies such as servlets, JavaServer Pages (JSP), and Java Database Connectivity (JDBC). In particular, knowledge of Enterprise JavaBeans (EJBs) and Java Message Service (JMS) will be helpful for working with webMethods Integration. Finally, a good understanding of web service technologies such as SOAP and REST will also be beneficial.

webMethods Integration is an integration platform that enables the integration of different systems and applications using various protocols, standards, and technologies. Java is one of the primary languages used for developing solutions on the webMethods Integration platform. The required Java skills for developing solutions using webMethods Integration may include:

1. Core Java: A good understanding of core Java concepts such as object-oriented programming, collections, exception handling, and multithreading is essential for developing solutions on webMethods Integration.
  2. Java EE: Knowledge of Java Enterprise Edition (Java EE) concepts such as servlets, JSPs, JNDI, JDBC, JMS, and EJBs is required for developing Java-based solutions on webMethods Integration.
  3. Web Services: webMethods Integration supports different web service protocols such as SOAP and REST. Therefore, knowledge of web service concepts such as WSDL, XML, XSD, and JSON is required.
  4. Integration Patterns: webMethods Integration supports different integration patterns such as publish/subscribe, request/response, and message routing. Therefore, understanding of integration patterns is important for developing solutions on the platform.
  5. webMethods Integration Platform: Knowledge of the webMethods Integration platform, including its components such as Integration Server, Trading Networks, and Universal Messaging, is essential for developing solutions on the platform.
  6. IDE: Familiarity with Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) such as Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA, which support Java development, is also important for developing solutions on webMethods Integration.

In summary, a good understanding of Java, Java EE, web services, integration patterns, the webMethods Integration platform, and an IDE are essential skills for developing solutions using webMethods Integration.

“What kind of java skills are required for developing solutions using webMethods Integration [Server}”

Short answer: None. One does not need to know Java at all to be effective using wM IS to develop solutions. As @Holger_von_Thomsen notes, it is not a prerequisite and the primary language for wM IS is FLOW.

Long answer: Knowledge of Java and the various related components noted by @sahasakhar934 and @ethanklein can be very useful but is not required. There are many discussions on the forums about FLOW vs. Java. Here are a couple of them for consideration. Old but still applicable.

IMO, a significant reason why wM IS is even still around is because one does not need to be Java programmer to be productive with it. Knowing Java is certainly helpful, but not necessary.

Use of Java is secondary, not primary. A common use of Java is “small java services to provide utility-like functions.” Often, just wrappers around core Java classes/methods.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.